Wendy - peter pan - velvet touch - pattern leaflet 492

I’m trying to knit the jacket from this pattern leaflet - I will post a link to a site with the leaflet if I can find one. I don’t know if anyone else has found this problem but I wonder if there is a typo for the tension swatch because it seems to be a ridiculously tight tension (19 sts. and 30 rows to 10cms/ 4ins. over st.st. on 4 1/2 mm needles (7 U.S. and old UK size). Has anyone else had this problem? Could someone help me work out what the tension should be. Thanks! :pray:

One way to check is to see how wide it’s supposed to be compared to how many stitches you cast on.

Yarndex says Velvet Touch is a light worsted, so 19 st per 4 inches isn’t out of line since it looks like a fahncy, furry yarn. It’s 4 3/4 stitches per inch.

I have used that yarn and I don’t think that tension is too crazy. Even though the yarn appears to be a wide ribbinish shape, it folds and doubles on itself and knits pretty tightly. Have you tried to swatch it yet?

Sorry I meant that the number of rows per 10cms was ridiculous not the number of stitches. I can knit so the width is right but not the length

Here is a link to the pattern I am referring to http://www.jenny-wren-crafts.co.uk/Patterns/velvet_touch4.htm