W&T Pattern Help?

I’ve never heard of this abbrev before: W&T. Stands for Wrap and Turn.
This is a part of the pattern:

[I]Wedge:
Row 1 [RS]: K to last 2 sts, W&T.

Row 2 [WS]: K to end.

Row 3 [RS]: K to last st before wrapped st of previous row, W&T.

Repeat these 2 rows 1[2, 3] times more. 3[4, 5] sts have been wrapped.[/I]

It’s part of a wedge so I presume there is supposed to be an increase by one st per each w&t. However, when I looked it up, W&T does not seem to be an increase.

Their definition is:
[I]Wrap and turn. Bring yarn to front of work between needles, slip next st to right-hand needle, bring yarn around this st to back of work, slip st back to left-hand needle, turn work to begin working back in the other direction.[/I]

Now, when I turn my work around to start moving back in the other direction, my yarn is to the front. As I am knitting, my yarn needs to be in the back. Do I wrap my yarn around the needles (kind of like YO) to create the extra stitch?

You’re doing short rows so the yarn is wrapped [U]around the stitch[/U] to prevent a hole from forming. Check out the ‘Short Row with Wrap’ vid under Advanced Techniques.

cam

Yup, Cam90066 is right! The ‘short rows’ are a technique of building up an area…a shaping technique. It stacks extra rows in areas that need more height for a certain shape…ie: shoulder shaping.

You wrap the yarn around the stitch, not around the needle. Here’s another explanation Short rows at knitty

Amy has a vid here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques - toward the bottom of the page. Look for short row with wrap. I just ran into this to doing a sock and found the video really helpful!!!

Oopsie-daisy. Cam already covered that. I really should read more instead of scan… :frowning:

Their definition is:
Wrap and turn. Bring yarn to front of work between needles, slip next st to right-hand needle, bring yarn around this st to back of work, slip st back to left-hand needle, turn work to begin working back in the other direction.

Now, when I turn my work around to start moving back in the other direction, my yarn is to the front. As I am knitting, my yarn needs to be in the back. Do I wrap my yarn around the needles (kind of like YO) to create the extra stitch?

You don’t make any extra stitches. The stitch count stays the same all the time. Carefully do exactly what it says in your directions for the wrap (they are good directions). By moving the yarn to the front (between the needles), slipping the stitch, then moving the yarn to the back again (between the needles) and putting the stitch back where it started, you will end up with the working yarn running between the first and second stitches on the LH needle (before you turn the work). Then when you turn the work in your hands to go the other way, you are right, the yarn will be in front. Since you are doing garter stitch (k each row), you will want to move it to the back (between the needle tips) before you do your first knit stitch.

You are never really wrapping the yarn around the needle exactly, just moving it back and forth between the needle tips, from to the front, to the back. Then when you turn it around (just like you would at the end of a row) and put the yarn in the back to knit, you will have, by all those maneuvers, wrapped the stitch.

It is in the advanced techniques, but it is not really that hard. Don’t let it scare you. You’ll get it.

Thanks for all your help? I was able to understand and knit the wedge, and I see that it makes a triangular shape because the edge sts aren’t.