Vexing holes in seamless sweaters--

Can anyone help a relative newbie with some techniques for closing up those vexatious little holes that seem always to appear after I weave the underarms of bottom-up seamless sweaters? I’ve scrutinized the photos of the gorgeously homely sweaters in Elizabeth Zimmermann’s books, but they never appear to be an issue for her. I can’t manage to close them up in any way that’s even remotely tidy–

Where do you get holes? I’ve made some seamless sweaters ala EZ and there aren’t any places to weave together. :thinking:

Or do you mean the gap at the underarm for raglans? That one I just sew closed.

Yes, that’s it exactly–the four little gaps that appear after you’ve closed up the openings under the arms.

Sew 'em, eh? As though you’re sewing, say, a sleeve to a body? Or as though you’re joining two side seams? It’s such a hinky, three-way confluence at that point that I can’t decide which approach would make the most sense and would look neatest.

Need I mention that I’m keen on the seamless sweater because I hate sewing pieces together? Pieces of a cardigan still languish after four months. But I can probably find enough fortitude to tackle a handful of stitches . . . .

I just kind of whip stitch together the best I can. Sewing is not my forte, either, and it is the ampit, after all, so I’m not too fussy.

I grew up in the Bronx–I assume you’re from there, too.

I’m indeed a Bronx native, as were both my parents. It’s been (gasp!) twenty years since I lived there–I put in a stint in Minneapolis before making my way out to California. Coming from the Bronx works wonders in a classroom–at some point every semester I find an excuse to tell my students that I grew up in public housing in the Bronx, and the room gets very quiet. I think they’re waiting for me to pull a switchblade out of my boot.

:rofling: I do the same thing! My students will brag that they’re from the City of Poughkeepsie of all places and I just roll my eyes and tell them I grew up in the Bronx. They’re impressed. The neighborhoods I grew up in are really bad now, but weren’t then. They don’t know that, though. :wink: