Very silly newbie q

Ok as you all know I am a newbie to the knitting thing (only made 3 hats so far :oops: ) But have been looking at expanding my list to socks and such… so need to work in the round with those scary dpns (hear scary horror film music) well I can do it, I know I can… except for 1 little tiny issue… in EVERY pattern it states to cast on blah stitches, then to join… but see NO ONE seems to want to explain how to join??? I am a crocheter who has finally stepped into the light of knitting, crochet join simple, knit join… totally confused, can anyone help? Yea silly newbie q, but I have no one to each me aside from the internet and books :slight_smile:

Not such a silly question at all.

Try the video on circular knitting here. Just click on the one for double pointed needles.

You may want to watch them all - there are so many ways to knit in the round. Double pointed needles are just one way of many.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Susan

Thank you will go watch them now… hubby allowing me to go buy some yarn today (yay) so i will probably be starting this afternoon, like I said newbie no stash :cry: I had crocheted for years, but stopped and gave away what I had to a friend who had lost everything and all she did was crochet and do canvas work… so I get to start all over again!

To join the stitches when working in the round, you just begin knitting. The patterns don’t explain because they figure you will know how, just as you know how to make a knit or a purl stitch. So it’s something that needs to be learned just like making a knit stitch.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Yep, suzeeq is right ! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]It’s even simpler than in crochet, where you’re kindof making a different stitch (slip stitch) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]In knitting, there’s no different stitch when you join…you bring that tail end (where you just finished casting on), around as your right needle, and your first cast on stitch will be at the right end of your left needle, with the third needle as the base of your triangle, kindof hanging between those two. Make sure that all of your caston stitches are along the inside of this triangle that you’re making with the shape of your needles. Then grab your working yarn (and your tail, if you want to knit it in), cinch them up against your right needle, and knit your first stitch from your left needle. Pull your yarn up [U]good and snug[/U] , and take another stitch. Be sure and pull this one up good and snug too. Take one or two more stitches, drop that tail, and be on your way ! If your stitches are wanting to fall off of your dpns while you begin (because you’ve cast on over a larger needle or you just have very slippery needles), cap the ends that you’re not knitting off of with point protectors or even just tiny rubberbands, until you get going good. Once you get a few rounds on the needles, your tension usually holds the stitches in place.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Good Luck and have fun…and don’t forget to BREATHE !;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]