V neck picking up and knitting

can somebody help me… i am knitting a sweater for my husband and i need to learn how to pick up the stiches for the V neck and how to go about it…

thank you

sangeetha

Amy has video on picking up stitches in the Basic Techniques/More section.

Yep, Amy’s video for picking up stitches is very helpful.

Does your pattern specify how many stitches to pick up?? I just made a very lovely v-neck (if I do say so myself! :aww: ) in which I used a needle TWO sizes smaller than what I used for the rest of the sweater, picked up every stitch along the back of the neck and a stitch for every row down the v-neck edges. If you’d like what I did in more detail I can let you know.

thank you knit queen… i wud really love that… cud you pls let me know how you did the neck…

and thank you for all the replies. i did learn how to pick up the stitches… now i need to know how to go about kntting it… i need to know how to get that one line of “knit” right in the front…

pls help…

thank you once again…

Alrighty, this is what I did.

Use a needle 2 sizes smaller than what you used for the garment.

Start picking up stitches from the back neck (specifically, I started at the upper right back), picking up one stitch for every stitch along the back and one stitch for every row down the v-neck until you reach the center of the V.

Place a marker, then cast on one stitch onto the right needle using backward loop.

Pick up one stitch for every row up the other edge of the v-neck until you get back to where you started at the upper right back. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of your rounds from now on.

Now, when I did this I was using a 2x2 rib for the neck trim and I wanted there to be a ‘K2’ of the 2x2 rib on either side of the one stitch at the center of the V, so I counted out from the center of the V (not including the one center stitch) to see what stitch my round would need to start with in order for it to be symmetrical at the center. When I did it, it turned out that I would only have a ‘K1’ at the beginning of my round instead of a ‘K2’, so when I started the round I did a kfb in the first stitch and then continued on with P2, K2, etc.

So, just as an example if you were doing K2P2 rib like I was, this is what your rounds would look like:

Round 1: work K2, P2 ribbing to within 2 stitches of center marker; ssk, slip marker, K1, K2tog; work in K2, P2 rib to the end of the round
Round 2: work in established ribbing to within 2 stitches of center marker, ssk, slip marker, K1, K2tog, work in established ribbing to end of round.

Repeat round 2 for about 1" and then bind off loosely.

This is what my v-neck looks like…I hope it’s clear enough for you to see.

thank you knitting queen… this is wot i wanted exactly… also thank you so much for the photo… it helped a lot… i was doing the K1P1 ribbing… i think it will be same way… except i have to do K1P1 instead of K2 P2…

THANK YOU SO MUCH

sangeetha