V neck cardigan

I may have a stupid ? but here goes. First off, I wanted a simple stockinette cardigan to go with the sleeveless shell I made, but this is a patterned sweater. I couldn’t find a cardigan in my size that was just stockinette so I am ignoring the “pattern” and knitting it in just the stockinette st. I am to the part where I start my decreases for left front v-neck shaping. This is what the pattern calls for in bold:

LEFT FRONT: Cast on 45 (53, 53, 61, 61, 69) sts. Work in k 1, p 1 rib for 6 rows. Beg with Row 1, work even in pat until piece meas 16 (16½, 17, 17 1/2, 18, 18½) in. from beg.
Shape V-neck: Keeping to pat, dec 1 st at center Front on next row, then every 4 (3, 3, 3, 3, 3) rows 12 (18, 16, 22, 20, 26) times – 32 (34, 36, 38, 40, 42) sts. Work even until piece meas same as Back to shoulders. Bind off rem sts.

I have done my 18 1/2 inches, then on the next row, which is a right side row, I knitted to the center and decreased a stitch and knit to the end. I then knit 3 rows and on the third row, knitted to the center, decreased and then knit to the end. Is this correct, and if it is, there will be an “angled” row of vertical stitches in the center of the sweater where I did the decrease. This looks like it will look funny when the sweater is finished. Maybe I am misunderstanding the pattern??? Also, it says reverse the shaping for the right side and how do I do that when I am just decreasing at the center?

Thanks for the help!

Faye

I’m guessing that since this is a cardigan, they actually mean that the “center Front” is the edge where the neck shaping should take place. In other words, they don’t mean the center of the piece you are working on, but the center of the sweater :rollingeyes: Poor choice of wording, if you ask me.

Anyone else care to validate what I’ve said???

Oh, and if I were you, I would knit to w/in 1 stitch of the edge before making my decrease, that way your decrease won’t be on the very edge of the neckline.

ETA: What pattern is this? It would probably be helpful to see a picture.

Remember you are working on a side of the sweater so when you work to the center you are on the edge of your knitting… which is the center front of the sweater…

Thank you very much!

***Also, it says reverse the shaping for the right side and how do I do that when I am just decreasing at the center? ***

Whatever you do first on one side is last on the other. If you do armhole shaping and then neck dec on the left front, you’d do the neck dec and then the armhole on the right front.

If you were working them tog on a circ you’d not have to think about it so much. You’d work one side, then move to the other and do the same steps but in reverse order. (Working tog helps to ensure same size and placement of things like armhole/neckline decs.)

HTH,

cam

Thanks, Cam, when I understood about the "CENTER’ issue, I then knew about the reverse shaping!

Sometimes, you just need someone else to spell it out to see it yourself. I felt like such a dope after reading the very first post!

I know how you feel, Nonny. I’m having some of those same moments w/ the sweater I’m getting ready to start!! Glad you got it all sorted out!