Using a Steam Buggy to block?

I am starting on the Tiger Swallowtail Shawl from the Needle Beetle using 100% Merino style wool in color Storm. What I’m wondering is…when (and if) I finish this, could I use my Steam Buggy to block it after it’s all pinned down, etc.?? I would think this would be the same as holding a steam iron over it, but maybe faster? And, Ingrid, I think I’m going to need some encouragement along the way :rofl: It’s been a long time since I knitted from a graph, and I’ve never knitted from one quite so LARGE! Wish me luck and thanks for helping with this question.

I’ve seen it done, but I don’t think it’s necessary for this particular pattern. I dunked mine in lukewarm water with a bit of wool wash and laid it out flat to dry. I don’t know if I would steam merino–I have a feeling that it could make it limp.

Since the pattern isn’t made with fingering yarn, and the pattern uses lace stitches but is not lacy, per se, I don’t think it needs aggressive blocking.

I took my pattern to work and minimized it a bit on the copy machine and taped the pieces together–it made it a bit less cumbersome to follow the pattern. Just a thought.

Thanks, Ingrid. I’d thought about shrinking the pattern, too. That sure would make it a lot more manageable. And, thanks for the steaming help, too. I’ll do as you say.