Unwinding hanks of yarn: yarn looping on itself

Hi, I have watched a million (well, at least a dozen) YouTube videos on how to unwind hanks of yarn properly. I even bought a swift and yarn winder thinking that might help my issue. Which is, no matter what I do, even when I think I’ve followed everyone’s advice, all the ‘tips and tricks’, (make sure all yarn is running same direction, don’t cross yarn in the main loop, cut ties after mounting on swift, etc) more often than not I end up with short loops of yarn going against the grain, making it impossible to pull the leading yarn smoothly. I spend hours trying to untangle yarn (even on the swift!) and painstakingly pulling yards of yarn through small looped holes. We have one local yarn shop that charges to wind yarn not purchased at their shop. I am buying expensive yarn and find this sooo frustrating! What the heck am I doing wrong???!!! Thanks for any advice.

I wind by hand putting the opened hank around the back of a chair. When I cut the threads holding the hank together, I make sure that I pick up the end that is on the outside of the hank. So the hank starts out over my hand and I can see two ends. One is on the inside of the hank and one closer to the outside. Pick up the end on the outside.
That’s the only thing I can think of that might be causing problems. Otherwise, it sounds like you’re doing everything right. It might be worth it to take a hank to your LYS, explain your problems and pay to watch them wind the hank. Hope this problem is solved soon.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I think I just need to be more careful!! The last few I did went well.

1 Like