Understanding shoulder shaping of rowan kettlewell sweater

I am knitting a sweater and have a problem in understanding the shoulder shaping. Here’s the instruction:

Cast off 8 sts, P until there are 11 sts on right needle and turn, leaving rem sts on a holder. Work each side of neck separately. Cast off 3 sts at beg of next row. Cast off rem 8 sts. With RS facing rejoin yarn to rem sts, cast off centre 23 sts, P to end. Complete to match first side, reverse shapings.

Now my problem is the part: With RS facing rejoin yarn to rem sts, cast off centre 23 sts, P to end.
I think that means to knit one shoulder, then cast off 23 sts, purl to the end of the row and in the next row start working the other shoulder. But that way the second shoulder would start in the next row, the one after the first shoulder did. Wouln’t that mean that I’d have an additional row or do I get that wrong?

Thank you so much in advance!

Welcome to KH!
You’re right, the shoulder shaping will be off by a row but that’s ok. It’s partly due to the nature of bind offs which can only reasonably be worked at the beginning of a row. The shaping will only be off by a small fraction of an inch however and it won’t be noticeable in the finished sweater.

Thank you :grinning: I was really wondering how to knit that another way, but your explanation made it clear. Thanks a lot!