Two Colored Socks

Okay, so I bought some orange and brown sock yarn months ago to make myself some RIT-colored knee socks. Well, the toe-up cast on wasn’t working for me. So I’m thinking now, especially since it’s warm out (and I lost my other ball of brown!), I’ll just make some regular height, cuff-down socks.
I’m thinking I want to do them in brown with a strip of orange on the cuff, orange heel, and orange toes. In order to do this, though, I need to learn to do a short row heel. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for the leg. I don’t want it to be all ribbed, I can’t really do argyle since it’ll be in the round and I only have two colors, and I don’t really know how tall I want to make them, anyway. Any suggestions? If you were going to make a sock with just two colors, where would YOU put the second color? :smiley:

I think I’d be inclined to put a 1 in stripe about 1-2 inches from the top. I was trying to find a picture of those tube socks boys used to wear, but I can’t find them. It doesn’t really matter how you do it though if it’s just to please you.

I know what socks you’re talking about.
I was just looking for other options. I thought maybe someone would have an idea I hadn’t thought of yet that I like better than the stripe.

Maybe you could have a look at a few socks sites, too. Just for ideas till someone else chimes in…

Joy of socks
Absolute socks

FWIW, you don’t have to learn to do short row heels…you can always do an afterthought heel. That’s that I did with my 2-color socks. :smiley:

You can also just do the heel flap in another color & not the gusset or you can do the easy (my fave short row) Sherman heel, it’s the easy intro to short rows IMHO :wink: Love your socks, Julie :thumbsup:

Call me boring, but two-coloured socks to me means that I knit the ribbing, heel and toe in a different colour. Or else I stripe it up like I did with DH’s Hockey Socks {which I did the heel and toe in cream as well as the stripes}.

Thanks, guys! I thought about the afterthought heel…I don’t know. The heel you posted, Rebecca, looks pretty good!

:smiley: Thanks, Cate, I love it for heels & I just did my 1st toe with the same formula.