Twisted knitting in the round

Here’s an odd one for you! I’m knitting a cowl in the round on 2.75mm needles, with around 200 stitches.
Because of the needle size, these have to be a fixed rather than interchangeable needle and the length of the needles is such that I’m using two ( they’re too long for a single needle and a bit too short for magic loop.
I have ended up with a twisted circle twice now, despite being certain that there was no twist when I joined. I only managed a couple of rows before it was obvious, despite me checking everytime I put it down.
I think what is happening is that the two circulars are twisting relative to each other (the cast on and first row took ages and it was in and out of my xiplock bag during that time). As there is no length to it at this point, I am effectively twisting a strand of yarn so it’s impossible to detect at the point that I’m doing it!
Any suggestions? I’m thinking I’ll have to go up to a 3mm needle so I can use a shorter cable. I can’t justify buying more needles - I have a great number and there are so many permutations!

Oh boy. The only way to fix this is to start over. Each time you get to the end of the needle you need to check the stitches to make sure they are all facing the same way. An alternative way to start when you have a bunch of stitches cast on is to knit flat for several rows first then join. You can use the tail to seam the small split/gap.

BTW… Twisting the join happens to everyone. I started making a Woobie and he’s still in time out till I want to try again. Unfortunately I managed to go quite a ways before noticing. Ugh!!!
twisted_co_medium

Unfortunately, your going to have to rip it out (frog it).
Maybe this will help. This is for fixed cables on circular needle, but it still may help.
https://www.knitworld.co.nz/lengths-of-circular-needles-available-and-minimum-numbers-of-stitches-required/

Best of luck on your project.

OOh, bad luck! (But that could make an interesting cowl if you could twist it the other way!)
I don’t seem to be able to get past the second row on my project despite careful checking at each junction (I am used to knitting in the round!) but I think in my case, it may be down to using two needles with so many stitches. This means frequent breaks and the needles reorientate themselves relative to each other. I’ll have to knit flat for a bit - the only other option is to buy yet another circular of appropriate cable length! I invested in a comprehensive interchangeable set but unfortunately the needles don’t go below 3mm because of the need to incorporate the screw bevel!! Grrr! I had 8 hours on a train yesterday and wasted all of it!!

In my experience, it is easier to cast on without twisting on two needles than on one. At least it shouldn’t be harder.
You could try a different method of cast on, some turn more than others. Also using clover wonder clips to keep the stitches tight on the cable can help.
Finally, if you haven’ got too far, there is this trick to fix it:

Success!

Another way to avoid a twist is knit back and forth for two rows and join on the third. You will have a tiny, tiny seam that no one will notice. I’ve done that more than once.

I’ve read (Eliz. Zimmerman I think) that after the first round and only the first if you find a twist it’s possible to fix there and then. Hmm, just came to me – if you find a twist and are nearly back to the beginning, transfer last few sts to a dp, untwist, and put back. I’ll have to go see if it works.

I know the method suggested first (work 2 rows/rounds straight) works with the slightest of seams.

yes, I think I’m going to do that (knit a couple of rows flat). Alternatively, I may start on dpns and then transfer to two circulars after a few rows. It’s just that first one to two rows where the junction between the two circulars looks identical whichever orientation you choose! However, they both have to be identical or the twist emerges by round 3!!

1 Like

When I’m knitting in the roound (about 99.9% of the time) I always take a few sts from the needle I’m working on from the idle needle.

Then on the end of the second needle I get sts from the other needle. That way you’re not changing in the same place every round and knitting is even.

Do what works for you.