Tubular cast on

I got instructions for a tubular cast on a few years ago from a yarn shop I don’t live near anymore. I used it and it was really great. I just bought some GORGEOUS Noro yarn and I’m itching to start my new project and want to use the tubular cast on, but I can’t figure it out. I will write out the instructions below and highlight my questions. Can anyone decipher this for me? Thanks in advance AGAIN! :slight_smile:

1. Using waste yarn (that will be cut later), cast on 1/2 the number of sts that you will need for the final border
  2. Change to working yarn and K1 row
  3. Tubular Row #1: *K1, bring yarn to the front, with LH needle, pick up horizontal strand between st just knit and next st on LH needle - P1 into this strand, bring yarn to back. Repeat from * to last stitch, K1 and P1 in last stitch (cast on sts are now doubled).
  4. Tubular Row #2: *K1, WYIF slip 1 purlwise, yarn to back; Repeat from * to end.
  5. Repeat this row once more
  6. cut waste yarn carefully and remove.
    [B]Here are my questions:[/B]
  7. Tubular Row #1: *K1, [COLOR=“Red”]bring yarn to the front[/COLOR] [COLOR=“Red”](isnt’ yarn already in front after K1?), [/COLOR]with LH needle, pick up horizontal strand between st just knit and next st on LH needle - P1 into this strand, bring yarn to back [COLOR=“red”](again, isn’t yarn already in back?). [/COLOR]Repeat from * to last stitch, K1 and P1 in last stitch (cast on sts are now doubled).
    [COLOR=“red”]When I do it this way, the stitches are more than doubled. Clearly I’m doing something wrong. Any ideas?[/COLOR]
  1. Tubular Row #1: *K1, [COLOR=“Red”]bring yarn to the front[/COLOR] [COLOR=“Red”](isnt’ yarn already in front after K1?)[/COLOR]

No, when knitting the yarn is held in the back.

with LH needle, pick up horizontal strand between st just knit and next st on LH needle - P1 into this strand, bring yarn to back [COLOR=“red”](again, isn’t yarn already in back?). [/COLOR]

No, when purling the yarn is held in the front.

Hope this helps.:slight_smile:

ok, I now feel like an utter moron…but when I knit the yarn is in the front, and when I purl the yarn is in the back. Have I been doing it wrong ALL these years?!?

slouca, have you tried checking out Amy’s videos knit and purl?

hello spliffer, and welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

ok, I HAVE been knitting correctly, I’m just calling “front” and “back” the wrong things…whew! LOL That was bizarre for a little bit! :slight_smile:

:thumbsup: Glad you figured it out.