transferring from holder to needle and joining

Hi Knitters,

I’m knitting a baby cardigan and my pattern instructs me to transfer the stitches from the holder (back of the cardigan) to a knitting needle, then join and work evenly. I’ve transferred the stitches, but I’m wondering about joining the yarn. Normally when you join yarn there’s the end of working yarn that you attach to, but in this case, there is no working yarn. Both sides of the cardigan, left and right, are bound off. And since there’s no working yarn, which end of the needle do I join? Or does it not matter?

This is my second project and I’m afraid of making a mistake this far into it!

Thanks a lot!

I would consult the pattern and see if the first row worked with the joining yarn is a right or wrong side. That will tell you which end to start at. Then just take a new ball of yarn, leave a 6 inch tail unless otherwise instructed and start knitting. When you come back to that first stitch it will feel very loose because the tail isn’t attached to anything, so just lightly tug on the tail to tighten it a little bit.

Hi!

My thought exactly. As i was reading the question and contemplating how to reply i saw Meyylda’s reply …great minds think alike. I would love it if you could provide a link to thr sweater, I am always looking for new patterns. I wouldn’t worry about making s mistake. I am sure it will be beautiful when you are finished and if you get stuck you have a whole community to help you. Good luck! :smile:

1 Like

Hi Trisha and Metylda,

It’s a very nice free pattern, search for Free Knitting Pattern Lion Brand® Lion Organic Cotton Tied Hoodie.

So if I understand correctly, I wouldn’t actually * tie* the new ball of yarn (which is what I would normally do when adding a new ball)? Just take it and start knitting?

Thanks for your encouragement!

Vanessa

1 Like

Right you would not be tying the new ball of yarn but rather you will wind up weaving in the tail. Thsnks for the name of the pattern. If you ever looking for patterns for baby or toddlers give me a shout out. I would be happy to share patterns that I have. Please post a picture when you are finished.

Thanks a lot! It worked :slight_smile: However, looking at my work I see that the edge of the front, where I had to bind off, looks messy. I don’t know what I did wrong. I think I’m going to frog it :frowning: Sigh.

Before you frog it can you post a picture of it.

I agree, don’t be too hasty to frog. You might come back and do something else along the bound off edge or it might get seamed. Either will hide a less than lovely edge.

Thanks everyone! And I’ll be sure to take a pic as Trisha said.

I have a new question (and new mistake!) on the same piece. I’ve been working as you’ve instructed and I noticed that I deviated from pattern FIFTEEN rows back. Not sure how that’s happened. Garter stitch has a nice ridge on every other row, but here I see that I have one ridge missing. Is there any way I can go back and fix this row without undoing all the perfect fifteen rows I’ve since worked?!

Is this in the body of the sweater before the split for the armholes? You could either leave it as a feature of the pattern or take out the rows back to the mistake. If it was one or two sts you might ladder down to it and correct but for an entire row, that’s neither practical nor easy. Arghh, so annoying! We’ve all been there.
Maybe you purled a row instead of continuing to knit every row?
It’s an adorable pattern:

Thanks Salmonmac. It doesn’t look convincing as a design feature, so I guess I’ll have to let it rip :frowning: (and yes it was before the armholes)

I went back to the mistake and here’s what I noticed: there is no missing ridge as I said earlier; rather, there are two consecutive ridges. In the middle of the row is a big hole. Could it be that I put the needles down and then came back and worked them in the wrong direction??? Clearly something went wrong where this hole is.

By the way, what kind of pattern is it with these consecutive purl ridges? I kind of like it.

It could well be that you put the piece down and when you picked it up, inadvertently turned and knit in the wrong direction. It’s best to finish a row if possible. If not then be careful when you pick up your knitting to look at where the working yarn is coming from. It should be on the righthand needle.

If you purl all the rows you’ll get garter stitch. If you alternate knit rows and purl rows, the bumpy side is reverse stockinette. The purl bumps are closer together than garter stitch ridges. Fiddle around with these rows on a swatch and see if you like the various patterns.

You’ll be much more likely to check and make sure you’re going the right direction from now on. If it helps you feel a little better: I’ve been knitting long enough to “know better” and still do such things. I just had to correct messed up seed stitch which meant taking out several rows. I know to check my work often for misplaced knits and purls but somehow I missed this one. To knit is to frog and tink.