Tinking

Sorry I know that this has been discussed but I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom on ticking back slowly so that the loop that you are pulling on doesn’t slip another stitch underneath it? I feel that when I do tink back I am going to slip stitches below and while that wouldn’t be a problem I am knitting A Scarf Askew http://www.magknits.com/Mar07/patterns/askew.htm and that finding which stitch is which–purl or knit-- (when dropped) has been so tough for a beginner-- if I get it right I feel like a won the lottery! Any help on tinking in a controlled environment?
Thanks for reading!

try looking at the videos in the advanced section - there’s one on inserting a needle into the row you want to tink back to.

If you put your needle into the stitch below the one on the right needle and then pull out the yarn, you shouldn’t risk losing any stitches. Just like when you’re knitting, have the yarn in back for knit stitches and in front for purls. Don’t pull the yarn out of the stitch until you’ve got the one below it on the needle.

try looking at the videos in the advanced section - there’s one on inserting a needle into the row you want to tink back to.

That is the part I am most uncertain of and I know once I do this more I will feel more comfortable. I just never know if I have the right stitch or if I have piece right above the stitch…