Thumb increases

I’m knitting a glove and I don’t understand what to do next. Here is what I’ve done: k1 pick up horizontal strand between stitch just worked and next stitch, place on left hand needle, knit this stitch (1 stitch increased - the first thumb stitch), k1 pick up horizontal strand between stitch just worked and next stitch, place on left hand needle, knit this stitch ( 1 more stitch increased - the second thumb stitch). Knit to the end. Knit 3 more rounds.

Now it says continue to increase 1 stitch before the first thumb stitch and after the second thumb stitch every 4th round 5 times.

My question is: There are two small holes where I made the increases is it supposed to be that way? Also there are 3 knitted rounds between the increases, any way to know exactly the stitch before and after the last thumb stitch? By doing it before and after that does make the increases wider apart each time? I just want to be sure I’m putting them in the right position.

Yes, the holes are normal. You can knit through the back loop on purpose to twist the newly made stitch and make the hole smaller, but it isn’t that necessary.

A lot of the time, designers will tell you to place a marker on either side of the thumb stitches. That’s not a bad idea even if it isn’t in the pattern. They don’t have to be fancy; anything from a paper clip or safety pin to the stitch markers you can buy will work, so long as it reminds you where the next increase goes.

Yes, the increases will be further and further apart. The increases should make two neat lines.

At some point, you’ll put the increased stitches on a stitch holder. You may be told to cast on a few stitches on that round and knit on from there. That’s also normal and makes the knuckle part of the glove or mitten wide enough once you take out the thumb stitches. Usually, you’ll pick up that many stitches (out of the base of those cast-on ones) when you finish the thumb.