Those of you who make your dpn's

I went to Lowe’s yesterday to purchase dowels to make dpn’s. I found dowels for size 8 & 11. I was looking specifically for sizes 7,8,11 & 13. Are you able to find a wide variety of sizes? Where do you find your dowels? Dh suggested a hobby shop which I am going to check out today.

Thanks

JoAnn seems to carry quite a few sizes – in the dept. with all of the woodsy-crafty stuff. :smiley:

Try your local hardware store, too. I’m sure someplace like Home Depot has any size you could want.

My local Michael’s craft store has everything I would vote for craft shops.

I first tried to find what I needed at our local Home Depot, but only found two of the sizes I needed (sz 7, and something else). I then went to a local hardware store and found several more. I have also found that at different times I’ve gone into Home Depot (I carry my knitting needle gauge in my purse with me :wink: ), I’ve found different sizes available than what I might have found on the previous trip there.

I also bought 4 orange sticks at Sally’s Beauty Supply. I think they were a size 7 (I’d have to dig them out to see). I had to check several in the bin before I came up with 4 of the same size to make a set.

Sally’s is expensive just for some wood sticks.

i got mine at Walmart. but Joanns has way more.

I think I got all four of mine for just over a dollar. I hadn’t thought of even using orange sticks, but happened to be in there checking out and saw them on the counter.

I’m having trouble too… found sizes for 3, 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 13, and 15 but thats it… finally gave up and went to hunt down size 6 couldn’t find them locally so did go ahead and buy size 4 and 5s will look online for the other sizes :smiley:

Because needle sizes are measured metrically, and dowels are organized by 1/4 and 1/8 and 1/16 of inches, you may not be able to find all of the sizes… what I did was sand down (VEERRRRRYYY carefully!!) the larger size dowel until it fit through the smaller sized hole on my needle gauge.
But you don’t have to use only dowels - chopsticks usually range from an 8 to a 9, bamboo skewers I think come in as a 2 or 3, depending on what kind you get, sometimes as big as a 5 or 6… I see possible knitting needles everywhere now - love the orange stick thing, I’ll have to get some of those…