Thanks to everyone

:XX: I am in the middle of knitting a bag from the handles down and the pattern calls for me to bind off 20 then knit 10 then cast back on 20 where the bind off 20 where, can anyone help me understand or show me a description of the casting on they are talking about. :doh:

When I have to cast on at the middle or end of a row, I use the knitting on method. Video here: knitting on

The video shows it from a slip knot, but you can easily start from an existing knit stitch.

If you check out the videos in the Basic Techniques, you can use any of the single strand cast on methods–backward loop is what I usually use, or I think cable cast-on will work, too.

You’ll just cast these on over where you bound off the 20.

Whenever I have to cast on mid-row, I always cast on one extra stitch on either end…so for example you are to cast on 20sts. I would cast on 22, then on the next row, I knit the first new cast on stitch together with the existing stitch beside it, and then knit the last new cast on stitch together with the existing stitch beside it. So you are still left with only 20sts cast on, after that first return row. I do this because the new cast on stitches, especially the first and last ones, tend to be really loose. Knitting them together with the existing stitches on either side tightens things up and makes the gap much less noticeable.

Does that make sense?? I feel that I didn’t explain it very well.

I love that idea KQ!! I’m going to use it, too! :thumbsup:

Cathy, I just got your private message. In the video demonstrations, it does show the cast on methods starting from a slip knot because most often, casting on is done at the very beginning of a project. It is, however, no different when casting on mid-row. You can just pretend that the first stitch on your right needle is no different than a slip knot. You will then proceed in the exact same way. Like Ingrid says, you can choose any of the single strand cast on methods. Maybe on a swatch, try out the different methods until you figure out how it works and which one you like best. Backward loop is very easy to do, once you figure it out, but it can be very difficult to knit from. You might find that another one works better.

As for your specific project, try not to analyze it too much and just do exactly as your pattern asks. So you will cast off 20sts where it says to, then knit the next 10 stitches normally, then cast on 20 new stitches. Ask back if you run into problems.

KnitQueen-

What a great idea! Adding the extra stitch at each end and then k2tog to compensate for the gap. You are SO clever! I’m going to have to try that!

:happydance: This new blonde knitter finally got the concept of casting on in the middle of the project. thank you to everyone that tried to help me figure it out…
Happy Knitting :XX:

:cheering: :cheering:

you and me, both. :wink: