Term KWISE

Please explain this? I know it means knit wise. Is this a regular knit stitch?

Usually when the word ‘knitwise’ is used, it refers to slipping a stitch as if you were going to knit, vs. slipping a stitch as if you were going to purl. Slipping it knitwise makes it tighter because it gets twisted.

It twists it when you slip kwise? You talking on an edge or in the middle of a row? In the middle my kw slipped stitches turn out flat.

sue

When you slip purlwise, you just basically transfer a stitch from one needle to the other. Knitwise, does twist it since the front leg ends up at the back of the right needle.

Okay, if you were going to slip it, then work it on the other side; but it still looks flat in a SSK.

sue

On a ssk, you flip it back when you knit it, don’t you?

I don’t think so… I slip both stitches kwise then insert the left needle in front of the stitches on the right needle and knit. They both lay flat like the other knit stitches.

sue

What I’m thinking is that when you slip the stitches knitwise, you put the front let go the back–twisted. Then, when you knit them, you’re essentially knitting the stitches through the back loop, which twists them back so they do lay flat. :thinking:

No, I don’t think so. You’ve got a typo there - `put the front let go the back–twisted.’ - so I’m not sure I get your meaning. But when I knit them, I’m actually knitting them knitwise through what was the front leg. One of these days I’ll take some pictures and show you… soon as I figure out how to use the camera, download them to the 'puter and then into a post…

sue

:oops: Sorry about the typo–I really should proofread.

I’ve been doing ssk’s with the shawl I’m working on, and I’ve been trying to watch what happens. I think that with an ssk, you’re knitting the twisted stitches through the back loop, essentially, so it untwists them. I’ll have to pay closer attention when I get back to it.

Not when I make them. I know there’s an improved' ssk, where you slip the 2nd st tbl, but I don't see how that's an improvement as it twists the 2nd st. My SSKs are basically like a sl, k1, psso. Sl knitwise, k the next stitch, then pass the slipped stitch over as if I'd knit it. Maybe I've been doing itwrong’.

No, I haven’t… I just looked at Amy’s video of SSK and that’s exactly how I do mine.

sue

When I do a ssk, I slip two stitches knitwise, individually, then reinsert my left needle through the front of those stitches on the right, so basically the right needle is in the back loops of the stitches on the left and then knit from there.

Okay, yeah. That’s the same way I do it, too.

sue

I have a pattern that says to do a given number of SSK’s in a given round as well as do 4 k2tog’s. However, when finished with the round the pattern says that I will only have decreased by the 4 k2tog’s. Is the pattern wrong?

Can you type out the instructions for that round?

sue

Sure, I will do that when I get home; it’s from Two Old Bags.

Here is that round’s instructions:
Starting with 160 stitches; Knit 54 sts to 1st marker. Slip marker, ssk and k to 2 sts before 2nd marker, k2tog. Slip marker, k 54 sts to 3rd marker. Slip marker, ssk, knit to 2 sts before BOR marker, k2tog. After each descrease round you will have two stitches less between the markers. For example, after this round you will have 156 sts total.

As I typed it, it occured to me that the error was in reading the pattern. Perhaps I should only do 1 ssk at a time, not as I did originally which was ‘ssk and knit’ up until 2 sts before a marker. Thanks for any advice.

Yes, that’s correct; you would ssk, then knit the stitches until 2 before the marker, k2tog, etc.

sue

Thanks. I wish the pattern had send ‘then’ not ‘and’. :slight_smile:

But all patterns are written obscurely to exclude people who don’t know the `secret knitter’s language’. :teehee:

sue