Teddy bear help

Hi Knitters,

Question…I’m starting the leg of a teddy bear in a st st. the basic pattern is purl ws, knit rs. On dpn how do you connect the beginning/end of the circle. Since you have to turn the needles around from ws to rs it doesn’t connect the two end st and all I’m getting is a big unconnected hole. thanks!

you can check out Silver’s sock tutorial for joining in the round…it helps me all the time! http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

but you won’t be flipping RS to WS anymore when you knit in the round…just knit stitch when you are in the round, the RS will be on the outside. Pull the first stitch or 2 really tight when joining and the hole will be minimized too. Good luck! Hope that helps!

Bethany gave a good reply. To do stockinette in the round you never need to purl, you just knit, knit, knit and the st st happens.

There are several ways to join in the round, but basically when you have all the stitches divided around the needles instead of turning at the beginning like you normally do to begin knitting your first row in flat knitting, you just keep going in the same direction. You don’t have to do anything special really to join (although there are things that can be done) just start knitting it into a circle.

Lately I have been joining by casting on an extra stitch, then taking that last stitch cast on and moving it to the first needle (so it is at the beginning), knit the extra stitch and what was the first stitch together. Makes a nice join.