Table Runners, pot holders

Just wondering what is the best type of yarn to use for table runners and other things that could have hot pans sitting on them? Cotton? Acrylic?

Thanks
Knitcindy

Cotton seems to me to be the best recommendation. We’ve talked about potholders fairly recently but it’s always good to hear current input.

Thanks so much. I knew u could count on you salmonmac to answer this!!!

Knitcindy

@knitcindy, Here is a link to a previous discussion of fiber choice for potholders and hot pads.

1. Wool, 2) Cotton, 3) Acrylic seem (from my memory) to be the big three choices in Descending order of preference.

Acrylic will not melt when handling a hot dish or when used as a trivet under a hot dish.
But Acrylic will melt if in contact with the heating element or flame. It also gives off a black, sooty, smoke and fumes when melted by flame.

Yarn blends with Metallic thread should be avoided or only used as holiday decorations.

That is my summary of the thread. Other opinions may vary.

Crochet produces a thicker, tighter stitch that is better at preventing finger-tip “poke throughs” and associated burns.

I think Knit patterns with Garter stitch or two layers such as double knit or brioche would also provide protection.

I converted a crochet square potholder pattern to knit. I wonder if I ever wrote it out as a pattern?

Potholders made from acrylics will melt easily. Cotton potholders might char if they come in contact with open flame from a gas stove, like cooking with cast iron. But if it does catch on fire, it will quickly go out. I would suggest making two and crocheting or stitching them together. The fabric store sells a type of quilted fabric that is silvery on one side and heat resistant that you can use on the backs.

Incidentally, this is how you can determine the type of any “mystery” yarn that you’ve lost the tag for, inherited, or picked up in a thrift store. Snip a two inch piece of the yarn, hold it over the kitchen sink for safety reasons with cold water, light it on fire with a lighter or match. If it is acrylic or a wool-acrylic blend, it will burn quickly. If it is pure 100% wool, it will singe and go out right away. Try not to burn your fingers when doing this.

Partially True but requires high temp or direct contact with flame.

Potholders made from acrylic fiber are safe for most baking and cooking.

The melting point of acrylic fiber is 230 C (446 F).*

“Do not expose to direct flame” is an appropriate admonishment for nearly all synthetic fibers.
(*Melting point Citation: https://nptel.ac.in/courses/116102026/40 )