Tabi Sock Puzzler

Okay so i am making the tabi socks and i have done all the way through the Turn Heel section but i am cornfussed. this is the second time i have gone through this part cuz i messed up in rejoining the last time but something i noticed before but just figured i miscounted somewhere along the line. this time i am sure i didn’t (though my mind is always a confused place so ya never know) and i am still coming up stitches short. I have 12 stitches on my needle right now plus the stitches on the holder. i am about to start the reestablish round section and it tells me to pick up 15 stitches and work across 30 stitches… am i messing up somewhere or are there stitches missing? (i have e-mailed the site for info on any errata but i am hoping one of you can help me out quicker than they will! :D)

[color=orange]Turn Heel:[/color]
»For Large size only, change to 3mm needles. Using Main Colour, knit first 30 stitches. Slide remaining stitches onto a holder. Starting with a purl row, work 21 rows of stocking stitch, slipping the first stitch of every row. Right side is facing for next row.
»RS: Knit 20 stitches, SKP, turn
»WS: Slip 1, purl 10 stitches, p2tog, turn
»RS: Slip 1, knit 10 stitches, SKP, turn
»Repeat last two rows until all stitches have been worked. Ensure right side is facing for next row.

[color=orange]Re-establish Round and Create Gusset:[/color]
»Knit all stitches. Using that same needle, pick up and knit 15 stitches along selvedge edge at side of heel, using slipped stitches as a guide. With a new needle, work across 30 stitches of instep. Using another new needle, pick up and knit 15 stitches along selvedge edge at other side of heel, using slipped stitches as a guide. Work 6 stitches from the first needle.
»The beginning of the round is now at the centre of the heel. There should be 21 stitches on the first needle, the 30 stitches of the instep on the second, and 21 on the third. Rearrange the needles if you need to.
» Decrease Gusset:
»Work a round even.

How many stitches are on the holder? 30?

yup

oooooh so it is THOSE 30 stitches it is talking about? :doh:

That’s what it looks like to me… :thumbsup:

Have you knit socks with a heel flap/gusset before?

(If you haven’t…even though it’s not the same pattern, the pics on this page should help you visualize what’s going on: The Gusset)

no i am a pattern rebel in that i don’t like having to deal with them but i have been obsessed with tabi socks for some weird reason. thank you for enlightening me…i can’t believe i didn’t see that before. i am working on the gusset now and i feeeeel like i am putting it where it is suppose to be but it doesn’t match what i think the needle numbers are suppose to be…only thing that makes sense though so i am soldiering on! :thumbsup: well i will be as soon as i am done cutting up some watermelon for work tomorry anyway! :smiley:

thank you thank you!

What yarn are you using for those? A fingering sock yarn or a 4-ply? I want to make the peek-a-boo socks for a friend, but all it says is “main color” and “contrasting color.”

i am using a fingering weight. i just skipped over that contrast color thing and was doing it all in one yarn. the only thing you are using the contrast for is that band around the ankle anyway so i don’t see the need. if i had a contrasting color around though i probably would have used one…only because i have a ridiculous need to use the entire spectrum all at one time. :rollseyes:

:smiley: Can’t wait to see your socks, Bren :wink:

yeah it got frogged again…i swear i keep getting past “the hard part” and then messing up on the easy stuff… :rollseyes:

I plan on doing the same thing! I want to make the peek a boo socks and it’s only got a coupld of stitches on the first row in the cc. Why bother? rollseyes: I have a friend who always has the most outrageous patterns on her toenails, like yellow smilie faces, etc, and I think these would be so perfect for her. :slight_smile: