SWIMMING IN MY KNITTED BLANKET...SOS!

So I am new to knitting. I am currently knitting a blanket for my wife. It is loooooong and has taken on a life of its own. However it is not wide. It is only like 15 inches wide but long as hell. I read about steeking but that its well outside of my comfort and skill zone. Is this a lost cause. I hope not because I put a lot of time and money into it. It’s my first project and I refuse to admit defeat! Is there a simple way i can get it to get wider so can finish up the width? I can perfect the process on the next go around! HELP! SOS!

Welcome to KH and to knitting!
Such a nice idea, knitting a blanket for your wife.
After you bind off, you can pick up stitches along the long edge and knit to increase the width. Here’s a video for picking up sts. You could do that in the same yarn if you have it or in a complementary color.

Thanks @salmonmac! I’ll give it a shot. Its my first go at knitting and I want to see an end product. It’s like the andaconda of blankets lol. I appreciate the vid and the response!

Curiousity, how long is long as hell? 15 inches by how much? Meaning is it past what you need for length or perfect and just not wide enough? (I only ask because you mentioned steeking, which kind of sounds like it is too long and you were thinking of cutting and moving that amount or just cutting off extra) Kudos for such an ambitious first project :slight_smile: And welcome to group!