Swatch chart?

Is there somewhere on this planet that has a swatch chart that shows different swatches for different types of yarn?
And if there is one out there, I want to kiss the creator!
Thank you.

I don’t think you’ll find one of those, but you can join Ravelry (it’s free) and look up yarn and then see the projects people have made with that yarn. It’s actually better than swatches because how a yarn looks in say a sweater vs a scarf is very informative. For example -

James C. Brett Marble Chunky yarn -
And here’s the 14,000 plus projects done with this yarn -
https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/james-c-brett-marble-chunky/projects

And say you really want to know what the purples look like -
https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/james-c-brett-marble-chunky/projects?view=cards&search=&colors[]=&colors[]=&colors[]=purple

Better than swatches no? :slight_smile:

I know Knit Picks often has a picture of a swatch, but I’ve never seen it from someone private trying to cover everyone’s yarn. That would be costly.

Thanks. I will go dig in there!! :slight_smile:

Kathie

1 Like

Jan,

I just found another thread describing how the swatch thing works. The light bulb went on…not bright, but definitely on. hahaha

I guess my next question is…what stitich do I knit this swatch with?? knit stitch? k1p1? I am assuming it matters.

Do I knit 2 swatches?? k1p1 for the ribbing of the hat and then knit a swatch for just the k1 for the body of the hat??
How does this work??

Kathie

Thanks Mike,
I will research that.

Kathie

Your pattern should tell you what stitch gauge is measured over. Most commonly it’s stockinette, although it can be a specific pattern stitch used in the item. You can knit in ribbing to start, then switch to stockinette with garter edgings on each side.

With a hat, honestly, I’d just go ahead and start knitting it following the pattern guidelines for needle size, then stop a couple of inches in and measure to see if you’re getting gauge. Faster than doing a full swatch and then doing the hat, even if you have to rip out and start over. (Unless you already know you’re a loose or tight knitter. I always start one needle smaller because I’m a loose knitter most of the time.)

I don’t quite understand your question.

If you want to see what that yarn looks like knitted up, most LYSes will have samples in their store – at least all those in my area do.

If you mean a gauge swatch (or tension swatch), most times you are told to use stocking stitch. Sometimes you have to use the pattern stitch, but rarely. And remember that you need to make a large enough swatch to see the true gauge, and knitting in the round must be knit in the round!!

I usually start the pattern (with experience, you know what will happen) and then study the first inch or two to get an idea of whether this is right or not. You never will really know unless you actually do it!! Remember that each of us has a different tension when we knit, so what I do will not match your gauge when you knit. That is the fun of it all!