Sturdiest sock yarn available?

I have made numerous pairs of socks and they all seem to wear at the bottom of the sock around the heel area. My floors are porcelain tile and I think they might be catching on the tile edges. Does anyone have a suggestion for extremely tough yarn? Right now I am making socks with an acrylic sock yarn to see if acrylic holds up better (even though I love wool).

1 Like

Have you tried the afterthought heel? One of the advantages is that it can be replaced if worn out.

2 Likes

Yes I thought about that but it’s not the heel part that wears out. It’s the bottom of the sock that gets holes. I have some old sock patterns that have a refootable sole that I will try next. But I would still like to find a sturdy yarn for that project.

Yes, I was going to suggest that if you like the look. My concern is the join of sole to instep but there are several patterns out there, some with interesting variations.
What’s often used is wool with about 20% nylon (Regia 4-ply, Turtlepurl).

@engblom sock knitter par excellence, do you have any recommendations?

No, I am sorry, but I do not have any good yarn recommendation. I knit a lot of socks exactly because they get worn out so quickly. I also use yarn with about 20% nylon and it will make them last a bit longer than pure wool, but still they will get worn out.

1 Like

Advice that I’ve heard from “sock experts” in my knitting group (aside from the 20% nylon): high twist yarn if wool, and/or add a mohair to the problematic area.

I’ve heard good things about Lang Jawoll sock yarn, the yarn is supplied with reinforcement yarn.

2 Likes