Straight needle sock help...

I’m a veteran knitter and have never had any issues, but I always wanted to make socks. I’m much too lazy for real DPN or magic ring socks, so I finally found an alternative for straight needles. I’m absolutely head over heels for this pattern, but there is one drawback: in making the heel and toe, the pattern includes a gappy, holey space where stitches were left unworked. How can I remedy this, opposed to just running yarn back through the spots?

What pattern are you following?

1 Like

Ooh yes Mrs main, I’d love to see your pattern!

1 Like

It was originally from a YouTube video, but I tweaked it over and over until it worked best for me. Here is the video:

For the changes, I use size 7 needles instead of 8, and I cast on 28 or 32 stitches instead of 36. Also, for the ankle part of the sock, it calls for 8 rows of stockinette, but I always do 10-12. My only complaints about this pattern are (like originally stated) the gaps left in the heel and toe, but also that my cuffs in K2, P2 are always too loose.

1 Like

This is my go to pattern. But I do the heels differently because of the holes.
Work in half the stitches. Place marker on center. Work on left or right side depending if it’s for the right or left foot.
*knit to last 6 stitches. Turn. Slip first stitch purlwise. Purl to 6 sts before the end of the row. Turn. Slip st purlwise. Knit to last 5 stitches. Turn. Slip first st purlwise, purl to last 5 sts. Turn. Slip st, knit to 4 stitches etc until all the sts are used up. You will have a gap at the ends. Knit or purl the last stitches of each row before and after the gap. No counting. I’m actually working on that same pair as yours with that pattern for my granddaughter. Here’s what my alternative heel will look like.
Edit: I also tweeked this pattern and do the toes differently. After row 30 of the foot: (on the first 18 sts) k2tog, k14, K2tog, repeat on second set of 18. Second row: p2tog, p12, p2tog. Repeat. Continue these two rows until you have 12 sts total left on needle. Either do Kitchener st as the video suggests, or cut yarn, draw yarn through all loops with tapestry needle, and fasten off.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I will try this out tomorrow. Could you maybe clarify about the specific heel instructions? I will definitely be back with more questions for you!

I also would like to know of you have a way to make the cuffs tighter woven. They look great but then when they are worn, the cuffs stretch out and just stay that way. I was think of experimenting with the sl, k, sl, k gusset part, but for the cuff. That always seems to be sturdy enough to keep its shape.

So when you say that you knit and purl the last stitches of the row, which rows do you mean? Every row or just the last two rows?

@Fatoldladyinpjs1
Would you clarify the sock pattern for MrsMain, please?

1 Like

@salmonmac thank you so much! I joined maybe four or five days ago and am still getting the hang of it!

1 Like

Knit to the gap on each row. You will knit the stitch before and the stitch after the gap on the knit row. Turn. Slip the first stitch. Purl to the gap. Purl the stitch before the gap and the one after the gap. As for the cuff, I’m not sure. What cast on are you using? In socks and mitten cuffs, I always use the Twisted German cast on. KH has a video tutorial for it on this site.