Stitch Markers and Yarn in Clapotis

I really wanna start Clapotis now that I can finally get to Micheal’s and I don’t wanna completely mess it up so I have a few questions:\

1. [I]Is this a good beginner project?[/I] By beginner I mean I know most stitches and learn new ones as they are called for in a pattern. Im working on the “June is for Jag” pattern but I’m getting bored with it. I don’t wanna make myself frustrated trying to do this but I do want a challenge.

2. I have these round stitch markers that came with my beginner’s knitting kit (that was only good for the supplies :teehee: ) but I don’t understand at all how to use them.[I] So how do you use stitch markers? And wouldn’t they fall off the needle?[/I]

3. [I]Is there a tutorial that explains dropped stitches? [/I]I feel like I might have a problem with this when(if) I come to it.

4)[I] What kind of yarn should I use for this? [/I]I really like the pretty sock yarn at Micheal’s or the nice Patons SWS yarn (LOVE Patons anything!). But after a lecture from my dad about not buying stuff just because it’s pretty I thought I’d ask you guys.

I really wanna make this shawl/scarf to wear to school and to challenge myself a little more. I know I ask a ton of questions but just one more please. :slight_smile:

I haven’t made it, but I made a similar shawl, the Sunday market Shawl. The one I made isn’t on the diagonal like the Clapotis is.

I don’t think there are any particularly difficult stitches, I think you might have to knit thru the back loop for some of the stitches. for the stitches that will later be dropped, you just knit normal.

Stitch markers just slide on the needle, between stitches. They won’t fall off. Well, unless you stop knitting right at the stitch marker and set aside your knitting for a while - then it might well fall off.

If you’re a member at Ravelry, there is a group dedicated to the Clapotis. They would definitely be able to help with any problems you have. And of course here, someone is always available to help with any problems you have.

While I would agree with your dad about buying up yarn just because (not that I follow that advice very well myself!) you are buying for a particular project. Maybe you should start by buying 1 of each of those yarns and start knitting the clapotis with it to see how you like it. Once you decide which you like better, go back and buy enough for your project.

Either of the yarns you mention would make a good clapotis, so you’d be buying something for a specific project. This is basically a stockinette stitch scarf with sts you drop to a beginning YO. If you can inc, dec, and yo, you can do it. The pfb inc is a little awkward, but since it’s at the end of a row and you only do it during the increase section, it’s not too bad. Dropping the sts is easy it says in the pattern where; to do them, just let the next stitch drop off the needle without knitting it. Then let it unravel down a few rows, but you pick up the yarn strand that was the top stitch and knit it twisted to make a firmer edge. It’s not hard. The stitch markers are to mark where the drop stitches are and where you twist the sts before and after it.

Thank you both for your help. I just went out and bought the yarn so now all I have to do is get started. :slight_smile:

RE: stitch markers (aka [COLOR=“red”]Idiot markers[/COLOR])

Stitch markers are used for a number of reasons, in the clap, they are used to remind you ([COLOR=“red”][I]hey idiot, remember to do something here![/I][/COLOR]) to twist the stitches (ie, Ktbl)

[COLOR=“Red”](i’ve been knitting 45 + years, and i am still an idiot and need to be reminded “do something here!”)
[/COLOR]

the stitches are knit through the back loop so that when you 'drop the stitch" and make the ladders the stitches either side of the ladder don’t spread out.

the twisted stitches stay put (regular stitches would just spread, and after a while, the ladders would be just loose stitches, and not nearly as pretty.)

OK so you can USE markers… AND
you can knit the “to be dropped stitch” (the single stitch between the twisted ones)

[B]OR[/B] you can PURL the stitch (on the right side and remember to TWIST (Ktbl) the stitches either side of the PURL.
–you can use the PURL stitch as your reminder to do something different…(and not markers!)

Since the stitch will be dropped (and make the ladder) it doesn’t matter if you knit it, or purl it… in the end it will be unraveled!

and if you purl it, you don’t really need stitch markers–and you don’t have to worry about them falling off.

Clapotis is in my queue. I really need to remember this tip about using purl instead of stitch markers.

I’m making the clapitis now. Mirl56’s Ravelry suggestion is a great idea. If you’re haven’t already joined Ravelry, it would be worth it just to join the Clapotis group. I’ve gotten a number of questions answered by looking at their posts.

A word about stitch markers. You will need at least 17 for the project. Since I have lost a bunch of them in the couch cushions while making the clapotis, I would recommend buying extra. Make sure you have the right size for your needles. You have to slip them every 6 stitches and if they are tight on the needle they are more difficult to move from one needle to the next.

My favorite part is unraveling the dropped stitches. It’s a lot of fun.

Enjoy your clapotis!

A neat trick a friend and knitting instructor showed me was to tie a long thread or thin piece of yarn onto the stitch marker. As you knit along, the thread is trapped by the yarn after you slip the marker. It doesn’t get incorporated into the stitch, it’s just trapped by the yarn bar that forms as you move along. This way when you drop a marker (and who hasn’t done that about a million times) it may fall off the needle, but the thread holds it in the fabric. The thread slips easily through the yarn fabric and pulls right out when you are done. I make one of those knots where you fold the length of thread in half ( I use about 16 inches) put the loop through the marker and then pull the tails through the loop.

Kaidy