STILL LOST ON... Rep this dec every 4th row 17 times more

Thanks,
I’m posting this separately so it will get to here faster, I hope.

Link to pattern: http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/wisteria/wisteria.html

Here’s where I’m at on the BACK:

[color=green]Note: The sleeves are sewn to the back and front all the way to the cast-on edge of the back and front ribbing.

Shape Raglan Armholes: Dec Row (RS): K2, k3tog, k to last 5 sts, SSSK, k2 – 109(117-125) sts. Rep this dec every 4th row 13(17-22) times more, then every 6th row 5(3-0) times – 37 sts. Work even until piece measures approximately 24 1/2(25-25 1/2)” from beg when measured down center of piece. Bind off. [/color]

Sue asked Lee Lee

"Yes, but you’re only using up 4 sts to do a ssk, k2. Is there a Sl 1, then the ssk and pass the first slipped stitch over the ssk? There’s a k3tog at the beginning of the row, so you need to also dec 2 sts at the end of the row. "

The pattern actually said K2, K3tog, K to last 5 sts, SSSK, K2

I wrote SSK instead of SSSK

Now, my question is HOW TO DO SSSK??? Is it the same as SSK, as shown in the videos on this site, just add an extra slip??

Also, the way I figured it out with the decease rows ([color=green]Rep this dec every 4th row 17 times more)[/color] is as follows - but I think I’m wrong on this:

Dec Row (RS) Decrease this row
R2 (WS)
R3 (RS)
R4 (WS)
R5 (RS) Decrease this row
R6 (WS)
R7 (RS)
R8 (WS)
R9 (RS) Decrease this row
R10 (WS)
R11 (RS)
R12 (WS)
R13 (RS) Decrease this row
R14(WS)
R15 (RS)
R16 (WS)
R17 (RS) Decrease this row

Is that correct, or do I continue with these sets until I’ve actually worked 17 decrease rows over a 68 rows?

I have 121 stitches on the needle now and assume I have to get down to 37 stitches, which is what is said after completing the decrease below over 6 rows. I feel so lost and brain dead here.

Keep in mind this sweater is a PONCHO sweater so the armholes are huge. It’s very confusing to me from the way it is worded to say “17 more times” instead of 17 more rows. Because the next part is clearer to do it every 6th row three times, not 3 rows, as I outlined above. ???

Then I would move on to the pattern’s next part "then every 6th row 3 times - 37 sts.

R 18 (WS)
R 19 (RS)
R 20 (WS)
R 21 (RS)
R 22 (WS)
R 23 (RS) Decrease this row
R 24 (WS)
R 25 (RS)
R 26 (WS)
R 27 (RS)
R 28 (WS)
R 29 (RS) Decease this row
R 30 (WS)
R 31 (RS)
R 32 (WS)
R 33 (RS)
R 34 (WS)
R 35 (RS) Decrease this row

Pattern then says: [color=green]work even until piece measures approx 25" from beg when measured down center. Bind off. [/color]

QUESTION: [color=green]“work even…” [/color]What does that mean? Continue in Knit one row, then Purl on row until 25" from beg???

Thanks again for the great help! I’m soooooo excited to be knitting my first sweater.
Lee Lee

I replied to this in detail on your other post, but to summarize:

I think the extra sl stitch (SSSK) is to be passed over the ssk to dec 2 sts, instead of just 1 st dec with the ssk.

You don’t work only for 17 rows, but for 4 rows times 17 … for a total of 68 more rows.

Yes, you have the dec every 6th row part right.

Yes, continue working in stockinette stitch without any more decreases.

sue

Thanks again Sue,

One last confirmation question…

SSSK I’m decreasing by 2 stitches.

Here is what I did on the practice…
Slipped three stitches onto right hand needle.
Knitted all three in one pass to end up with one knit stitch from three.

Pardon my daftness again, but I just wanted to make certain it is correct. It was really, really tough getting the needle thru 3 stitches.

Last time on this question, I promise!
Lee Lee

Here is what I did on the practice…
Slipped three stitches onto right hand needle.
Knitted all three in one pass to end up with one knit stitch from three.

Pardon my daftness again, but I just wanted to make certain it is correct. It was really, really tough getting the needle thru 3 stitches.

Yes it is. That’s why you should probably slip all 3 stitches to the right needle, knit 2nd and 3rd ones together, then pass stitch #1 over the 2 that were knit together. It’s much easier to do.

sue

Also, the way I figured it out with the decease rows (Rep this dec every 4th row 17 times more) is as follows - but I think I’m wrong on this:

I thought when it said to dec every 4th row it meant to
row 1 dec
row 2 k
row 3 k
row 4 dec

Do you not include the first row in the count?

Or do you count four rows after the dec? :??
row 1 dec
row 2 k
row 3 k
row 4 k
row 5 dec

Hi,

Actually, the way I’ve been decreasing is as your second example:

Do you not include the first row in the count?

Or do you count four rows after the dec?
row 1 dec
row 2 k
row 3 k
row 4 k
row 5 dec

i.e.

R 29 ® Dec
R 30 (W) Purl
R 31 ® Knit
R 32 (W) Purl
R 33 ® Dec

Thanks so much!
Lee Lee

Yes, candy’s second example is correct. It’s not on row 4, but every 4th row.

sue