Stiff Neck

:waah:

I’ve been working extra hard to finish this basketweave baby blanket before my SIL’s baby shower in October. So, on the days that I have time, I knit for a 1-2 hours at a time. (I’m a slow knitter) My neck is really stiff when I knit this long. Any suggestions? What am I doing to cause my neck to get so stiff? Thanks in advance!

Are you sitting in a nice straight posture? are you resting your elbows on something like an armrest of a good chair? I find when I slump or knit in my nice comfy soft bed, I get stiff shoulders/ neck. if you are a tight knitter you may be unconsiously gripping the needles too hard and causing muscle tension. Recently there was a thread on knitting and numbness in the hand and muscle pain on the general forum- hth

Don’t sit for that long w/o stopping occasionally to roll your shoulders, swivel your head around a bit, give your hands a shake. Just as it’s not healthy for the bod to sit in front of a computer for extended periods of time, sitting for long stretches doing anything requires taking little breaks here and there.

cam

Try putting a pillow in your lap and put your knitting on top of it. That way you don’t have to bend your head over so far to look at your knitting.

I feel your pain. Literally. I’ve become knitting-obsessed in the last couple of weeks, and frequently knit for two or three or four hours at a time. (I’m slow, too :shrug:) My neck is sore, my back hurts, and my triceps feel like I’ve had a workout!

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. It is important to get up and move around once in a while, and I [I]really[/I] need to work on my slouchiness!

Cindy