Squirrel Cage Swift Plans

Hello everyone!

I’m John, and I’m getting married in July. My fiance loves knitting, and I’ve decided to build her a squirrel cage swift as a wedding present. Do any of you happen to know where I could get plans for one?

If I can’t find plans, I could make my own, but I would need to find out what the standard sizes for skeins are so I can space the spools correctly.

Thanks!

Congratulations!

I never heard of a squirrel cage swift so I had to look it up. There are lots of links on Google and some of them may be plans. There are lots of pictures though so you may be able to figure it out if you can’t find any. I will say I don’t think there is a standard skein of yarn. The best thing would be some way to make the swift adjustable. Since it’s vertical you might be able to make the parts slide on a track then lock in place. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks!

My basic plan is to have two main poles with multiple holes to allow the top spindle to be moved up and down. I don’t know much about knitting, so I just assumed that there were some standard skein sizes that I could base the location of the adjustment holes on :slight_smile:

If you have a yarn store you can go to that might help. Not only can you talk to them about what you are wanting to do you can look at different skeins. A few of my friends spin yarn and they use a standard uhhh… thing (sorry can’t remember the name of it) to wrap the yarn around then twist it to make into hanks. They do seem to use the same item for doing this so there may be a standard. I"ll ask my spinner/knitter friend about it.

1 Like

I agree with Jan, an adjustable track for the spindles. Maybe like this one:

There’s a link here to a post on another forum, Knitting Paradise. It’s 3 years old but perhaps worth joining and pm’ing the poster for the plans.
http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-233522-1.html

2 Likes