Spiral socks

Has anyone ever made these? I came across this pattern http://www.hjsstudio.com/rc2socks.html a few months ago. Go to the bottom of the page. My husband is a former WWII reenactor and is fascinated with any kind of WWII uniform things. Anyway these look like fun and they don’t have a heel. I am working on my 2nd more traditional sock but I am going to make these soon. I read in the Sweater Workshop that the author actually learned to knit in the girl scouts by making these socks.

What size needles do you think we would use? It calls for Bucilla Steel Knitting needles, Sock Size #11 - I’m at work so I can’t check, but isn’t #11 a bit large for socks?
:XX:

I’m not sure what that is. I guess since the pattern is from the 40’s they had different needle sizes :thinking: . I am going to ask dh what kind of yarn he wants. I am guessing he will want a fingering weight like KPs Essential which I am working with now. That takes a needle size 1-3. I am using size 1 now but I may use 2 or 3 on the spiral socks. Let me know what you decide and how it works if you start these soon. I will probably not start on these for a few weeks. I have a lot of gift knitting this month then hopefully there will be time for “me and family” stuff. :happydance:

I believe that is European sizing for the needles; then according to the chart found here, you would use a 2 or 3 US size needle.
I’ve done tube socks before & am currently doing another pair for my aunt, just as the name states…a long tube, then the toe shaping, very easy & fun :wink:

well this chart talks about steel double pointed needles. maybe that is what they mean? looked like the equivalent was a size 2? (short term memory is bad!)

Thanks for all your quick research. :smiley: