Socks - Loosey, Goosey

I knitted the Pomatomus sock for my daughter and the sock looks lovely, fits her food exactly. Problem: The sock is loose around her calf.

Question. Should I just take the sock apart and knit it over or is there a way to save the sock AFTER the fact? If I can not save the sock, should I just buy some elastic yarn?

Thanks!!!

If it was just a little loose and slipping a little down the leg, I would consider adding elastic to the cuff (easy way) or (harder way) cutting the cuff off where the ribbing ends, picking up those stitches and knitting a tighter cuff.

If the whole leg and cuff are just [I]way[/I] too big, I’d gift those and adjust pattern to knit a smaller size for the original intended recipient - some finagling required since pattern is only written in the one size.

Pomatomus does knit up very stretchy, I’ve seen quite a few blogs and comments where it turned out too big for a lot of people.

KrazyKat,

If I cut the rib and pick up stitches how do I knit the rib? Am I knitting upside down? What technique is that called so I can look it up?

Thanks.

I had a tutorial somewhere, but here’s the basics: Choose your destination row and pick up all the stitches from that row (you can either use a smaller sized circ or even a piece of waste yarn - you can always switch to DPNs after cutting). Choose the row you will cut - probably a few rows into the rib to be removed, then you have a little room to play, plus it leaves you a tail to weave in later. Cut the ribbing off and unravel/pick the loose yarn pieces out til you are up to your destination row. Cut the old yarn off, but leave yourself a tail to weave in. Then, just add your new ribbing yarn and rib away! You will be knitting upside down from the original, but it’s really no different than doing a toe up sock, and I wouldn’t think upside down ribbing would be that noticeable.

ETA: Here’s the tutorial - it’s about a sweater, but same principle.

E(again!)TA: I think if you just googled “cut off ribbing and reknit” (no quotes), you’d get some more stuff to point you in the right direction. I don’t think it’s a technique that has an actual name.