Sock question - 3x1 rib okay for whole sock?

I want to make my first pair of adult socks (I made a pair of the North Country Cotton baby socks) for my dad.

I really like the way the 3x1 rib looks. Also, I started one sock and was planning on doing an inch of 1x1 ribbing at the top, and it was soooo tedious and horrible I can’t even fathom doing both socks that way!

So, my question is can I do 3x1 ribbing all the way down the cuff (no 1x1 ribbing at all)? Will it stay on his leg OK if I do that? Has anyone ever tried it? Or do I really need some 1x1 or 2x2 ribbing along the top?

I’ve done 2x2 and 2x1 ribbing all the way down…don’t see why you couldn’t do 3x1, except that it might not be as tight as 2x2.

I’m sorry I don’t know the answer, but I read this without the parenthesis and thought how tiny your dads feet must be if they fit in the baby socks!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Yeah, I don’t see why not, but I agree with Julie, it might not be as tight.

I’ve done socks entirely out of 2x1, and depending on the yarn, I don’t see why a 3x1 wouldn’t work. What wool are you using, and how much natural spring does it have?