Sock knitting and repairing help

OK…I thought I was doing great on my socks. But now that I have worn them I know I have a little problem. When I first put them on…they are great. No ladders, no little holes. However as they are worn a little bit a ladder starts to show up where the decreases on the toe are. This has happened on both of the socks I have knitted so far. Also it is just in the toes. I can only find one sock out of the six that I have made that has a little hole in the heel.

My questions are:

1. What am I doing wrong?
  2. How do I fix it while I am knitting my socks?
  3. What can I do about it now with the socks I would like to wear? How do I repair the gap? I thought about doing a duplicate stitches on top but I can’t seem to figure out how to do that? Or would you weave it closed from behind?

Ahh the terrible DPN ladders. If there was a magical way to prevent them, I’d be rich. But the only thing you can do is pull the first 2 or 3 stitches tight on each DPN while knitting. You can also experiment with holding the working needle above or below the last needle knitted… I have yet to find the perfect technique.

As far as fixing a ladder… Hmmm. Have you tried machine washing the socks? Sometimes that will even up the tension of the stitches and make a ladder less noticable. If it’s a very large ladder gap, maybe you could use a crochet hook and fix it as if it was a dropped stitch that has laddered down, and stitch the last stitch in place when you’re finished. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do and how it works. :thumbsup:

I had some success fixing a tiny ladder using the info that I found here. FYI, I used the lightbulb and it worked perfectly.

Both were knit with washable wool. I did think to wash them both and it did shrink them. The one pair was still pretty bad though.

The crochet hook worked like a charm though! Thanks for that idea.

WOOT! You’re welcome! :slight_smile: