Sock gap problem

Something strange happens everytime I make a sock. The V in the last stitch on needles 3 and 1 has a gap in it. (See the photo; I’ve pulled the sock a bit to show the gap.) What’s odd is that this problem never occurs between needles 2 & 3…

The socks end up looking like they have seams, which of course they don’t. I’ve tried tightening that last stitch, even when I move to the next needle, but nothing seems to get rid of the problem entirely.

My question is, how do I get rid of the gap? Is this a natural feature of the hand-knit sock, or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Other than pulling the first stitch on each dpn tight I don’t know what to tell you. I almost always have one tiny little ladder on most of the socks I make. (Usually at the toe or gusset.) After washing they have disappeared.

It’s nice to know that washing helps! Thanks!

I hope that is the case with mine. I was really hoping that I was doing something incorrectly, though, just so it would go away in the pre-wash object :smiley:

Don’t feel bad about it. It happens to A LOT of sock knitters. I’ve found that if I hold the needles a certain way, it makes the ladder better or worse. Sometimes pulling that first stitch tight makes the ladder better, and yet I swear, sometimes it’s worse! It’s a very perplexing knitting phenomenon! :??

Yes, yes, that’s happening to me! I cannot possible knit the stitch any tighter, yet the ladder is as bad, and sometimes worse, as when I don’t even try. Grr! That’s why I figured I must be missing something.

But, if a sock maven like yourself has this problem, at least I know I’m in good company :smiley:

Oh, and I’m using your tutorial, Silver, for the grafting…it’s not going so well–through no fault of yours, I might add–but I shall perservere because I really REALLY like knitting socks, ladders and all!

Well as I like to tell newbies knitting their first sock…

Any mistakes just add character do your hand knitted socks. Embrace them!! :wink:

:cheering: :cheering:

You’re a great teacher, Silver :smiley:

Awww thank you! :heart:

I always give a good tug on the first stich of the new needle. It took a looooooooooooooong time for me to make a sock without ladders. (Sometimes it still happens :rollseyes: ) so have patience grasshopper, it will come.

:smiley:

My sock may have ladders, but guess what?

I did the toe grafting and it came out beautifully! (Thanks to Silver’s tutorial). Yipppeeee!!!

Have a look. The pic is a wee bit blurry, but you can see where I’ve bent the toe down a little to show the grafting. I’m just beside myself with joy over this. After 3 hideous tries, I’ve gotten it right!

Well look at you, Miss Fancy!!!
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: Now you can help me when I start a sock!!!

What yarn did you use? I know it is isn’t KP! :roflhard:

Ack, I don’t know about that…but I can try. At least for some parts…the grafting of the toe, however, is best left to Silver’s tutelage!

:roflhard: :roflhard:

You are so mean! HA!

It’s Lion Brand Wool-Ease. I wanted something sturdy and washable since I’ll be padding around the house in them.

It is better to laugh about it - isn’t it?!

It is better to laugh about it - isn’t it?![/quote]

Yes…but I only laugh to hide the pain :crying: :crying:

HA! :rofling:

The Sock Gap…hehehe, have you ever seen the show Coupling?

Oh it is one of my favorite shows!! I couldn’t resist a Jeff-ism, so I slid it in, hoping someone would notice. You win!! I’ll get the prize to you soon; I keep it right next to my bucket of ears…

:roflhard: :roflhard:

“But if I did, your ears would be the prize of my…my ear bucket.” :smiley:

:roflhard:

“Not that I collect ears or anything!”

“Breasts!”

Oh, how I LOVE him! The show just wasn’t the same after Richard Coyle left and they brought in that Oliver character. I like Oliver, and he has his Jeff-like moments (the mountain of toilet paper in his living room made me laugh until I cried), but no one can replace Jeff with all his talk about the giggle loop, the sock gap, and Melty Man…

I know, my Dad won’t even watch the fourth season because there’s no Jeff!
I love the way that man says “breasts.” Oh, how I wish I were Welsh! :rofl:

I love the way he says everything… :inlove: :inlove:

But do you know that Richard Coyle isn’t even Welsh? He’s English! Isn’t that a fantastic job with the accent?!