Sock dpn suggestions?

I’m curious to see what people would recommend for sock needles. I’m just playing with my first socks right now (which I’m really enjoying btw), having tried in the past with totally inappropriate needles (a set of 4 12" bamboos - crazy!) and 2 circs, not for me and I don’t get on with metal needles as I tend to grip hard and need the flexibility.

So I made my own from dowel and they are less than 6" long, and while I love the length, I’m not too keen on the wood which gets super-sticky when my hands get clammy as knitting (as does bamboo). I also broke a couple already!! :oops: I adore the resin of my Denise’s, which are flexible and sticky enough, without “clammy hand” issue. I love the look and sound of the comfort zone needles, but they are 7.75" long, which I think would be too long for me - they do cut them down, but not the 0, 1 or 2’s which basically exempts any sock needles. Anyone have any other ideas? Are there some resin/plastic 6", or less, dpns out there that I’ve not found through google? Am I seeking the impossible? Or does anyone have a favorite that they think I should try?

Well…I just knitted my first sock on size 4 bamboo DPN’s and loved working with them. I had a heck of a time with metal, but no problems this time. I’m curious what others say, too.

Here’s a review that might offer some insight, too.

You can’t beat this price for 5 each of four sizes of DPNs ( I believe it’s 000, 00, 0, and 1)

Here are Crystal Palace bamboo 6 inchers, smallest is a size 1, and they go up from there and also have 8 inchers.

http://www.stitchesmarket.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=1213

My fave dpn for socks are the Inox 6" dpns…although they are metal, but I love to knit socks with them :smiley:

I like to use wooden or circs for socks… less slippery since I am not really a tight knitter. My sts tend to fall off the slippery metal.

I’m using Regia needles right now and I can’t say I’m in love with them. I’m on my first pair of socks so I don’t know if it’s me or the needles… I find the stitches don’t slide very well, but then my knitting is pretty tight and maybe for socks it’s also an advantage. The length is very good, though.

Thanks for all your responses to my question. It looks as though I’m going to be on this quest for ‘perfect’ sock needles for a while. I’m wondering if I do need to move over to metal for socks, I just worry about them slipping out the stitches, but I think my sock knitting might be a bit too tight for wooden/bamboo. We’ll see how it goes though…

The Inox dpns that I use have a coating on them which isn’t as slippery as their all metal needles, but after using them for a project or 2 they develop a very slick/smooth gliding texture which allows for the yarn to slide along nicely, but doesn’t cause the yarn to slip off of the dpns :wink:

Ooooh, thanks for that info Rebecca… now I’m very interested, and they are a great price too. I may give that a go

U r certainly very welcome…I really love mine since they are broken in & nice & smooth. LOL, I really need to get some more, but I hate going thru the ‘break in’ period…but it’s worth it :wink:

I have about 6 pairs of Brittany Birch dpns 5" long for sock (although I knit a baby hat on them, too.) I really like them and they are just slippery enough (better than bamboo). The size is perfect for socks. I also have one set of bryspun dpns which I alsolike, but I understand that bryspun is discontinuing them (too bad :frowning: ).

I use bamboo for real wool and metal or plastic or some kind of slippery stuff for acrylic

I just wanted to post an update on my needle dilema. After a little bit of research (and a happy accident), I was just about to buy the inox, but still dubious about the harm I would do to my wrists and I came across this article, which totally intrigued me. After a little research I was thrilled to find that they have 15mm (5 1/3") long needles. They sound perfect for me and my kind of knitting with small diameters. So I’ve ordered 3 sets of five, of #0, 1 and 2. I will let you know how I get on with them.

I’ll be interested to hear what you think. I’ve never tried pony’s.

I just looked @ the Pony Pearls @ jkneedles…look interesting! Please let us know how u like them :smiley: