Slit Scarf

I am working on a slit scarf from lion brand yarn. It says cast on 16 sts. Work seed stitch untill piece measures 4" from beginning. Slit: work even in pattern on first 8 stitches for 3.5"and place stitches on holder. So I dont understand the part about the slit and then it says join yarn to remaining 8 stitches and work even for 3.5" then work across all 16 sts then continue in patern till scarf measures 30" from beginning if any one can explain the slit part it would help me in great part

In order to make the slit, you need to divide the stitches into two halves. So you’ll put half on a holder and knit the other half. When that’s long enough, you’ll put those stitches on a holder and knit the remaining stitches from the holder.

When both sides are the same length, you’ll continue by knitting across all the stitches to bring the two sides together again after the slit.

It’s explaining how you’re going to do the Slit. Put the 8 sts on a holder after you’ve done 3½" on just those sts. Then take a new yarn end and do the next 8 sts for 3½" and after that, knit all 16 sts with one yarn end.

So do I work first in the seed sts for 4" then I do the slit

Yes, this part of the directions tells you to do so: “Work seed stitch untill piece measures 4” from beginning." Then you will create the slit per Ingrid and Sue’s excellent explanations.

Quick question if I am working seed sts for 4" How would I measur the 3.5 " for the slit, do I measur up to 7.5" on both side since I did already 4" and now I have to knit 3.5" does that equal 7.5"

Yes, you can measure the total length as 7½", however it will be easy to see where you began working on half the sts at the split and you just measure up 3½ from there. It’s sometimes a lot easier to just do the instruction and you can see the stitches and it makes more sense than trying to think it through in your head.

Quick question after I do Work Slit even in pattern on first 8 stitches for 3 ½ inches and place stitches on holder. How do i Join yarn to remaining 8 stitches and work even for 3½

Just knit across all the stitches as if they were one row again. The stitches on both the needle and holder.

You can either cut the yarn from the first 8 sts, leaving a 6 inch tail to weave in later or you can start a new end of yarn for these second 8sts. Again, leave about a 6 inch tail and start knitting. The first st may be a little loose but you can always snug it up later.

Quick question after I do Work Slit even in pattern on first 8 stitches for 3 ½ inches and place stitches on holder. How do i Join the yarn to remaining 8 stitches and work even for 3½ inches because when im done with the first 8 I have a tail and then I have to Work across all 16 and how do I work that tail in please help

Choose one of the yarn strands, maybe the one at the end of a row, and use that. Knit across the first set of stitches, then just knit the other set with the same yarn.

You can join the new end of yarn by just holding about a 6 inch tail in place with your left hand until you’re knit a couple of sts. Later you can snug up the loose first st when you weave in the end.
Here’s one way of weaving in the tails. You can weave in vertically too by picking up the back loops of sts. Just thread the tail through a tapistry needle and weave in through several sts in one direction and then back in the return direction.