Slip purlwise vs. knitwise

i understand the general rule for slipping is that if the pattern doesn’t say, you go purlwise. however, the Cozy pattern at Knitty has just sl, and for stitch explanation, says to use knitty’s standard abbreviation list. when you look at that, it has sl=slip and then slp=slip purlwise. do you think that means the default sl is to slip knitwise?

thanks! :slight_smile:

I’ve knitted two Cozys so far and I slipped knitwise.

well, drat. i went with purlwise… (i was really excited to start it, I’ve been waiting on the yarn all week :wink: ) i was kinda leaning towards knitwise because i think that makes it a little twisty and it seems like a twisty kind of pattern… can i switch now without frogging (1 lace repeat complete only) or should i stick with the purlwise now that i’ve started?

When it’s a slip that is part of a psso, I do it knitwise, too. I’d probably do it knitwise on your next row and see if it makes that much difference and then decide if you should leave it, continue with p or switch. Big help, I know. :wink:

i am going to try knitwise later with my next lace repeat. thankfully i only made it through one, so i don’t think it will be a big deal for me to check out the other way at this point and the slips only appear in 2 of the lace rows.