? slip - holding yarn behind vs in front of stitch

Hi,

I’m trying to decipher these stitch abbreviations / instructions glove pattern: http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/11/endpaper_mitts.html

sl1 wyib: slip 1 stitch as if to purl, holding working yarn behind stitch;
sl1 wyif: slip 1 stitch as if to purl, holding working yarn in front of stitch;

Does the reference to holding yarn behind stitch vs in front of stitch refer to where yarn is before i slip the stitch? does holding “behind stitch” mean putting yarn in place it would be “as if” i were going to knit it and holding “in front” mean putting yarn in place it would be “as if” i were going to purl? or the opposite way? Very confused.

The patterns for example then uses stitches in pattern like this:
Row 1: *k1, sl1wyif, repeat from * to end

and later for example:
Set-up Round 1: *k1, sl1wyif, repeat from * to end of round.
Set-up Round 2: *sl1wyib, p1, repeat from * to end of round.

Thanks anyone for help on this
sam

I think you have it exactly right!

It’s where you put the yarn before and while slipping the stitch. You will need to move it to the back or front again for the next knit or purl stitch.

Yes–you are doing simple double knitting in the round.

this will create a tubular edge that is stretchy (very!) and attractive.

when you do simple double knitting flat,you (cast on an even #)
R1: ~K1, bring yarn forward (as if to purl) s1, bring yarn back
and repeat from ~.
R2 and all other rows, repeat R1

in the round, with NO Turn, you have to Purl (and slip the previously knit stitches!) and move the yarn from purl position to knit position…

(this way the --dash of yarn (from the slip stitches) gets ‘lost’ inside the tube.)

Thanks all and especially ‘of troy’ - i like to know the technical reason i’m doing something - all the better to figure out other things the next time or to figure out the mistakes i invariably make along the way. :thumbsup:

glad i could help!

in a R or 2, you’ll 'change pattern"
and instead of K1, s1; you’ll knit 1, Purl 1

and the Horizontal tube (created by the k1, s1) will become 1 X 1 ribbing.

the tube will be almost as stretch as the ribbing, and the edge of the mitten will be rounded over, (and you won’t be able to see the cast on!)

I love this cast on for places that show (brim of hats, necks of sweaters) --and for places that need a lot of stretch (top of socks!)

Its a bit persnickity to do… but its so worth it!