Sizing a Man's ski hat and other problems

Now that I have ripped out one ski hat, I need to know how many stitches people usually cast on for a typical man’s ski hat? I have started another one and cast on 96 stitches on the advise of someone who calculated what a 22 inch head required, but 96 seems like a lot to me seems like a lot. Before I go any further, could someone help me? I am tempted to do some fast decreasing. Also, I can’t seem to figure out how to join the two sections on circular needles. I understand that I am just supposed to knit the two sides together, but it doesn’t seem to be working and I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong! Help!

When you knit in the round, once your stitches are all cast on, bring one end of the cast on to the left point and the end with the working yarn to the right point. Just start knitting into the left stitches and you will be knitting in the round.

The number of stitches for a hat depends on the size of the yarn and needles. What are you using?

:smiley: Hi! This is the hat pattern/formula that I use for virtually every hat that I knit, hope u find it helpful :wink:

I am using worsted weight and size 6 needles and am making this hat for my adult son: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/hatearflaphat.htm. His head measured around his ears is 23".