Simple Argyle Intarsia Pattern

I’m a looking for a simple chart to knit the traditional Argyle diamond pattern. A tutorial video may be helpful as well.

Choose a video!

There may be pattern links with the videos too. You can look on Ravelry for patterns. I only searched for argyle and knit since I’ve no idea what you’re wanting to make.

Something similar to this

1 Like

Are you looking to make socks, a sweater, a scarf?

This chart uses 3 colors.

Sweater. But would also love to make mtiple items with the Argyle pattern.

I also noticed that some people recommend using multiple skeins of
yarn…as to to avoid the hassle of carrying opposing colors across the
back of the work…

I always knit argyle patterns with bobbins. Much easier to switch out across your work, than the full skein.

How would I be able to look at any Intarsia chart and determine how many
bobbins I would need and of what color?

How would I be able to look at any Intarsia chart and determine how many
bobbins I would need and of what color?

It depends on how many repeats you have as to a total number of bobbins. I usually go over the chart before I start knitting and determine line-by-line the number of bobbins I need for each repeat. It can be a tedious process, but better than having to stop midway through a row to wind more bobbins.

The last time I did an argyle pattern (some 20+ years ago), I found it much easier to knit the pattern with only the two main colors of the diamonds and then go back and use the third color to put the Xs in as duplicate stitching. I used a single bobbin of each main color per repeat. Since the vest had 5 repeats, I had 5 green and 5 blue, then I went back and added the yellow Xs. Believe it or not, my little bro still has that vest.