Short rows yarn over for shoulder shaping

Hey everyone, I hope someone can help me! I’m trying to figure out short rows yarn over method. I am doing a sweater pattern ‘Fort’ by Jared Flood. It calls for short rows yarn over method for the shoulder shaping.

The instruction says:

Row 1 (WS): K1, work as established to last stitch before neck opening, K1; on second side K1, work as est to last 5 stitches, turn and YO.

Row 2 (RS): work as est to 1 stitch before neck opening. This is where I get really confused. Does this mean after I do the yarn over, I straight away knit/purl them together with the unworked stitch to close the gap and continue working as est?

Thank you for your help, this is my first short rows!

See if this video helps with the yo short rows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSoldz90lIk
That’s a great looking sweater!

Hi again Salmonmac! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the link.

I sort of know that with short rows you don’t finish the entire row, but I can’t seem to get my head around the instructions.

Row 1 (WS): K1, work as established to last stitch before neck opening, K1; on second side K1, work as est to last 5 stitches, turn and YO.

Row 2 (RS): work as est to 1 stitch before neck opening. and do the same for the right shoulder (work as est to last 5 stitches, turn and YO).

Row 3 (WS): K1, work as established to last stitch before neck opening, K1; on second side K1, work as est to last 3 stitches before YO from row 1, turn and YO. It sounds like I need to do a YO again before the older YO from row 1? If i do that i’ll end up with ugly gaps…

Am I going mental…

This video shows short row shaping for the shoulder. She uses wrap and turn, I’d use German short rows, you can use the yo short rows. Your instructions seem to be for working both shoulders at the same time and in the video she does one at a time. Do the instructions say to leave the stitches live and use a three needle bind off for the seam?

Yes, you’ll have the ugly gaps but if you continue reading the directions there will be a row where you work across all the sts closing up the gaps by knitting the yo together with the stitch on the other side of the gap.
The video GG linked to (thanks, GG!) shows you the overall idea of short row shaping for shoulders.

Yikes, you are right! I think this short rows is another way of doing sloped bind off. Phew! it was really daunting when I saw short rows. I was overthinking it.

Thank you thank you GrumpyGramma and salmonmac!

It is another way to achieve the shape needed so yes, it does the same as a sloped bind off except that it leaves you with live stitches. Does the pattern use a 3-ndl bo? I’m going all heretic here and will suggest that if you’d prefer to use a sloped bo and then seam it should be perfectly OK to do it that way.

Going mental is merely a state of mind. :crazy_face:

The pattern says to sew the shoulder seam after blocking. My first sweater was using the sloped bind off, I’m glad that i get to try different methods :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a very good approach. I like to try something new with every sweater project: top down, bottom up, side to side, different sleeves, whatever. All the variations keep it interesting and challenging. Enjoy finishing your sweater and show us a photo when you finish please.