Short row heel problem

I’ve been using the wrap and turn method to do short row heels on some socks. Now that I’m done with them, I see that on one side the holes are closed up nicely, but on the other side there are big holes. I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong on the purl side, wrapping backwards or something, but I’m not sure what. I’m not ripping back to find out, but I do have a sweater I’m about to do bust darts in, and I’d like to correct whatever it is that’s happening so that I don’t have enormous holes at my bra line. :thinking:

I don’t have pictures, but here’s how I’ve been doing the heel. Important info: I purl Norwegian, with the yarn held in back, so that screws up my sense of front and back.

Wraps: P/K to last unwrapped st, yf, sl as to purl, yb, return wrapped st to left needle, turn.

Picking up: P/K to next wrapped st, pick up wrap without twisting and place on left needle, sl st and wrap as if to knit, return both wrap and st to left needle, P/K wrap and st tog.

The holes are at the end of the knit side, where I pick up the wrap and knit it with the stitch. Should I not twist that side, or should I twist it the other direction? It looks like a stitch problem and not a tension problem to me, but I could be wrong… Any hints?

I’m not real familar with short row wrapping, but have you checked the video on this site? It has audio Amy may address that issue and/or you can see how she does it anyway.
It’s about 2/3 of the way down the page. I don’t know how to link directly to it.
Short row wrap video

I think that on the knit side, the yarn remains in the back until after you slip the stitch. :thinking: Have you watched the video on Short Rows with Wrap? Maybe that will help?

Ah, thanks Jan, we double posted there. :smiley:

I think I almost understand. (The video is kind of throwing me for a loop because I worked the wrap at the end of the row instead of the beginning, so it all looks backward to me now! :wink: ) If I’m coming off a purl row, I need to wrap back to front, but if I’m coming off a knit row it should be front to back, so that either way there’s a figure 8 kind of loop around the wrapped stitch, right?

Yes, you got it right!