Shawl - which bind off?

I am knitting this shawl in stockinette with a lace edge. I am knitting on 3.75mm needles, and the pattern directions say to do a regular bind off on 7mm needles for stretchiness. I think that looks a little messy. I would have liked to do an EZ sewn bind off, but as the edge of the shawl is around 3m long, the length of yarn I would need would be unmanageable - or is there some trick to sewing with a very long tail of yarn?

Instead, I am trying out Jeny’s surprisingly stretchy bind off, but it looks like it might be taking up too much yarn, so that I might run out before the end. (If I have to, I’ll rip back two rows and bind off from there, but I’d rather not).

Are there any good alternatives that might be stretchy enough, but a little less yarn consuming than Jeny’s? I am eyeing an icelandic bind-off, but I have no idea if it’s going to be stretchy enough, or if it’ll do something funny?

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!

Such a beautiful shawl!
I like the EZ sewn bind off too but the long tail of yarn that you would need to work with makes that difficult. Icelandic bind off looks neat and here are a few more suggestions:

The way that stretchy bind offs get their stretch is by incorporating extra yarn so while some bind offs will use more than others, you’re going to need a fair bit of yarn any way that you go.

Yes, I realize that stretchy bind offs are always going to take up a lot of yarn, but on my first attempt at a bind off, I was only short by a very tiny bit, so I was hoping it would be possible to find one that would use just a little bit less yarn, yet still be stretchy enough to work.

Anyway, it’s not the end of the world if I do have to rip back a couple of rows.

Well, what if you try out a couple of bind offs with the same amount of yarn? Measure off 3 equal lengths of scrap yarn and try some of the bind offs on a sample swatch to see which one will go farthest? That way would at least minimize the long bind off on the shawl and the amount of ripping out.

That’s a great idea! Thanks :slight_smile:

Lovely shawl. Picking a BO is so much fun. :zombie: Here’s a video showing another way to work the Icelandic BO; I think this way is easier. She knits Combo so her stitches are oriented differently than usual. Out of order bind off

That sounds good! For some reason the video won’t play for me, but I’ll check back again later, maybe whatever it is it’ll sort itself out…

Ah yes, that looks much easier!

I’m learning things here! :slight_smile: Turns out the fiddly way of reaching through the first st to knit the second is both faster, and results in a looser and stretchier bind off. The alternative method of slipping an unknit st and passing a knit st over was slower because of the extra step, and I tended to get confused - did I knit this stitch or not? And, at least in my hands, it came out tighter, and not very stretchy at all. Fun experiment!

Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

So glad you reported on your experience. I had problems with the Icelandic BO but I think it was because of the yarn I was using. I’ve not actually used, just test drove it.

We all learn things here. IMO this is the best place if you really want help with knitting. It’s where I actually learned to do anything with knits and purls so that I learned to love knitting. I’m glad you’re joining in, more input, more learning.