Shaping question, please help

I have 54 sts on my needle and it’s time to start shaping, except that the pattern instructions are a little confusing.

It reads as follows: Im working the back of a pullover

Shape shoulders and neck
Place a marker at each side of center 14 sts (what center?)
work across to marker; place remaining sts on a holder for right side shoulder and neck.

At neck edge bind off 10 sts once, 5 sts once, while at the same time at armhole edge bind off two sts twice, bind off remaining sts.
(that sounds to me like I will just be binding off all the sts in one shot…right?)

Right neck and shoulder: Join yarn at neck, ready to work a right side row bind off center sts for neck. Work as left shoulder reversing shaping.

(I dont see where the shaping takes place if im just binding off all the sts according to the above instructions, how does the shaping take place?)

Place a marker at each side of center 14 sts (what center?)
work across to marker; place remaining sts on a holder for right side shoulder and neck.
[color=red] The 14 stitches are at the center of the back, so you’d have 20 stitches, 14 on a holder, then 20 for the other shoulder.[/color]

At neck edge bind off 10 sts once, 5 sts once, while at the same time at armhole edge bind off two sts twice, bind off remaining sts.
(that sounds to me like I will just be binding off all the sts in one shot…right?)
[color=red]No, they’re not all at once. On the first row when the neck edge is at the beginning of the row, bind off 10. Work a row even, On the next row where the neck is at the beginning of the row, bind off 5.

When the armhole edge is at the beginning of the row, bind off 2 stitches. The next time the armhole edge is at the beginning of the row, bind off two more.

Then bind off the remaining stitches.[/color]

Right neck and shoulder: Join yarn at neck, ready to work a right side row bind off center sts for neck. Work as left shoulder reversing shaping.

And when you get to this part, you will be starting with the right side of your work facing you and will bind off those center 14. Then to ‘reverse shaping’ you will do the same binding off that you did on the other side except that neck edge bind offs will be done on the right side rows and the shoulder edge bind offs will be done on the wrong side rows. The only reason for this is that you can only bind off at the beginnings of rows, not at the end.

I dont know what I would do with out this forum.

Bravo Ladies :slight_smile: