Shaping crown in 2x2 rib hat?

I’ve finished a 2x2 rib scarf and am making a matching 2x2 rib hat. i’m at the point where i need to start shaping the crown – but can’t figure out how to decrease without messing up the ribs. If I decrease by knitting 2 of the knit stitches together, i’m left with one knit stitch surrounded by 2 purl stitches on either side.

Am I crazy? or it this the way it’s supposed to be. Clearly I’m not following a pattern (can’t find one using 2x2), but does anyone have a simple way to knit or purl 2 together in shaping the crown that keeps the ribs looking ok?

Thanks.

I’m not positive on this answer, so I’m just bumping for you.

My friend (she’s had many patterns published & has knitted for a long time) told another on a KR post that if you decrease evenly, she said every 8 sts that the result will be a swirl on the top of the hat.
I’ve decreased 22 ribbing on hats, but can’t find my pattern; I know that I just did evenly spaced decreases every other row, just as described above; there’s just no way that the 22 ribbing will remain the same if you are doing this in the round. I say there isn’t…if there is, it’s unknown to me… :blush: sorry

I looked around and referencing this hat @ Bernat.com may be helpful