set up row

The Buttoned up cowl on Page 108 of book “60 Quick Cowls”: cast on 45 stitches, set up row decreases stitches to 39 then says BEG CHART, but chart uses 45 stitches in every row. How do I get from the 39 stitches in set up row to 45 stitches?

Welcome to the forum!

Can you quote just the set up row please? It’s ok to post a row or 2 here, just not a large piece of the pattern due to designer copyright.

CROWL
Row 1…
Row 2…

Set-up row (WS) K4 [p2,k1] 3 times, p2, k2, [p1, p2tog, yo] 3times, p2, k2, [p2,k1] 3 times, p2, k4

BEG CHART
Work rows…

1 Like

I think you’ll find that you are not putting your yarn over hook as required. The number of stitches doesn’t change - you purl 2 together and then you put the yarn over the hook ([…p2tog, yo] - so there are now 45 stitches back on your needle. Hope this helps.

Oh, for goodness sakes, don’t know how I missed that. Thank you so much for explaining this to me and doing it so quickly. It’s my first time on this site and it is so helpful.

1 Like

Welcome! So easy to make that mistake!! Glad to be of help! People on here are brilliant! Time lag for replies often happen, I think, because it’s world wide! I’m Uk. Have fun knitting! X