Seed Stitch Scarf

I want to try and do a whole scarf in seed stitch, and I need some advice.

The scarf will be 16 stitches wide. If the last stitch in the row is a purl, when I flip it to work the next row do I start with a purl, or a knit stitch ?

Also, when you start a piece out using only seed stitch, is it SUPPOSED to look stupid ? Will it eventually look better after the first 4 to 5 rows ?

Thanks !

Hi again. When you end with a purl, you start with a purl for seed stitch. The first few rows of any kind of ribbing or seed stitch is a little wonky. It’ll straighten out and you’ll see the pattern after a few rows.

Personally, if I’m doing seed stitch I try to cast on an odd number of stitches, so every row starts with a knit stitch. :thumbsup:

Julie, do you mean you would cast on 17 stitches (an odd number), thus forcing each end to be a knit stitch ?

Ok, so…I figured out why the seed stitch was coming out looking like crap, Ingrid. It’s too complicated to explain, but suffice it to say it was way off !!

Julie, your suggestion was brilliant, and has helped me a bunch. I don’t have to concentrate so hard on the scarf, because I know it will end and begin with a knit stitch.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

Does anyone else have trouble getting comfortable with seed stitch ?

I am having the darndest time figuring out a way to hold the yarn and not stretch the scarf at the same time…

I have noticed my stitches being tighter on this piece than on my other two. I must be stressed ! :oops:

It looks pretty…and I am starting to go faster now. As usual, about 30 rows into it, I finally caught a groove and as a result the tightness of my stitches changed, so the beginning is much more loose than where I currently am.

This is such a difficult project that I am hesitant to rip it all out and start over…but it’s for my Mother-In-Law, and it’s a Christmas gift. I want perfection !!!

sighs