Ribbing on a Sweater

I am knitting a sweater for my son. Cast on 156 st. knit back and forth on a circular needle. I says to knit ribbing of 1 edge stitch in garter then K2,P2 ending with K2 then 1 edge stitch in garter stitch. I did 4 rows and it didn’t look like ribbing at all. HELP

When you’re knitting ribbing you need to make sure to knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you. So with this pattern when you get to the end of the row you’ll turn, k1 for the edge stitch then purl 2, knit 2 across. Once you think about it you can see that the stitches look different on each side.

Does that help?

That’s what I figured too but it doesn’t say that in the pattern. I figured it would clarify that with RS K2,P2 then switch for WS but it doesn’t. Here is the pattern http://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=5635&cid=17#pattern_content

It looks like the pattern assumes you know how to rib. So do as I said and it should be fine. Each time you turn you’ll do the opposite… for the front side you start with k2, for the back side you start with p2. It’s easiest to just remember knit the knits and purl the purls except of course for the edge stitch which is knit on both sides.

thanks so much for your help! Should have gone with my ‘gut’ feeling the first time, would have saved a lot of work!