Rib stitch

Hi,
I’m new to this forum and totally new to knitting. I’ve learned what I know through videos on the net only as I don’t know anyone who knows how to knit that can teach me. I’m trying to follow a pattern that starts with a rib stitch. I know that it’s knit one purl one, but my question is when I finish a row and start a new one, what do I do my first stitch as in the new row? I just finished the first row of knit, purl, etc. and my last stitch was a purl. Should I start with a knit or a purl on the second row?

Your last st was a purl so the first st on the next row should be a knit followed by a purl, knit, purl etc. For conventional ribbing you will always do the opposite st on the reverse side. You can see which st to do if you look at your knitting. For ribbing, when you see a V on the needle from the previous row, knit it and when you see a bump or loop, purl it.
Welcome the KH and happy knitting!

For all ribbing, after the first rows, you knit the sts how they look. If it looks like a knit, knit it, if it looks like a purl, purl it. This thread has videos and pictures that can help you identify the sts.

Congratulations for learning to knit and welcome to the Knitting Help! :yay:

You need to learn what the stitches look like. It’ll help you for all your knitting. Each stitch has two sides…one is a knit and the other side is a purl. So when you’re read to rib look at the stitches as they face you on your left needle you knit the ones that look knitted and purl the ones that look like purls. Ribbing is knitting the knits and purling the purls.

The attached sample shows you, but go to the thread Sue linked to as well. :thumbsup:

Thank you all so much! I’ve now been able to finish the ribbed portion of my project and it looks great! You all were a great help! I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions soon. Luckily the next part of this project calls for a simple garter stitch though :slight_smile:

I wanted to suggest that you might be able to find other “live” knitters at your local yarn shop!! Sometimes libraries have weekly/monthly knitting groups as well. OR your local craft store (like Michael’s, JoAnn’s or A C Moore) should have someone working there who could help you out!!

HTH, knitcindy