'Rib 1'... ? Help!

After about 400 hats and scarves I’ve decided to attempt my first sweater, but have run into a problem already! The pattern starts off in 3x3 rib for the waistband - piece of cake - but the next instructions read: “Rib 1, M1, Rib 1…” I can handle ‘M1’, but what do they mean by ‘Rib 1’? I can’t seem to find the answer to this in any of my books… any help would be greatly appreciated!

:thinking: The only thing I can think of is that it changes from a 3x3 rib to either a 3x4 rib, or a k1p1 rib…Then the rib1 would be ‘work one rib’. :??
Is this an online pattern? It might help to see more of the pattern, or a picture.

It could mean to use whatever stitch is below it–k or p–depending on where in the ribbing you are. I suspect that the next row is the start of the body of the sweater, so you don’t really have to worry about the continuity of the ribbing after this row.

I found a picture of the sweater - (I’m working from a book). The exact reading of the row in question is: Rib 1, *(rib 1, M1) twice, rib 1, rep from * to last st, rib to end.
This is the final row of the waistband - before the body of the sweater begins - if that helps. I’m so confused! Thanks to everyone for your help - you’re all fabulous!!!

I tried Googling “rib 1” to see if I could find any other patterns out there that contained better instructions for that abbreviation…no dice.

You might consider emailing the author and asking for clarification.

My gut is telling me that it means to complete one 3x3 rib and then M1 in between ribs.

Reading the exact directions, I think Kelly is right.

Ok - I had a feeling it was something along those lines… But should I increase the last stitch of the first 3x3 rib or the first stitch of the next? Or does it even matter? Or am I even making sense?

What I would do is do the M1 and then knit the knits and purl the purls as they were in the previous ribbing. I don’t think it will look at all ‘off’ since the pattern starts right above it.

Right - I think I’ll give it a go and see what happens. Thank you so much for all youir help!